Master of Teaching - OISE/UT

Red Bull89

I think there acceptance process is unfair! This is not a "prestigeous program." My grades were good. I also had good experince and did not get accepted! I know this is a difficult program to get into and wasnt even expecting to get in at first! I know someone with a VERY low gpa. She also had much less experince then I did and she got an acceptance. I did recieve an interview so I am assuming they just did not like me. The funny thing is that I thougth the interview went welll! This is a very UNFAIR acceptance process and clearly grades and experince hardly matter.

does anyone know if you can change your cohort concentration if you've been accepted...like going from p/j to j/i?
I am pretty sure you can't. But I would ask the registrar.

I think there acceptance process is unfair! This is not a "prestigeous program." My grades were good. I also had good experince and did not get accepted! I know this is a difficult program to get into and wasnt even expecting to get in at first! I know someone with a VERY low gpa. She also had much less experince then I did and she got an acceptance. I did recieve an interview so I am assuming they just did not like me. The funny thing is that I thougth the interview went welll! This is a very UNFAIR acceptance process and clearly grades and experince hardly matter.

I felt that their acceptance process was extremely fair. Their interviews weighed heavily on their decisions. Maybe you did not mention specific points that they were looking for during your interview. McGill also has an MT program. Did you apply there as well?

Edited by Vcnj

Did you guys receive an e-mail from the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning (CTL) about a "Meet & Greet and Research Showcase" specifically for the MT program?

The e-mail says:

Dear applicant,

Thank you for your application to the Master of Teaching in Elementary and Secondary Education (MT) program in the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning (CTL) at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE). As you may know, we have been reviewing applications to our program.  Official notification of results are in the process of being mailed.   

As an applicant, we wanted to invite you to the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Meet & Greet and Research Showcase that is scheduled for April 10th, 2013. Attend our Research Showcase and speak with faculty members and students about ongoing research in CTL. Afterwards, you’re invited to meet with our current students to discover more about the program.

---

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but I would find it odd if they were to invite "any" applicant to attend this showcase, especially now that the date of official results is approaching, which they've also mentioned explicitly in their e-mail.

If they're sending this notice out to applicants who have already been slated for the rejection pile, then UofT's just cruel for the prolonged tease... lol. Sigh. Waiting for my decision to be disclosed.

I received it as well! I haven't been accepted or rejected yet though since I live out of province. 

Did anyone receive an email about housing? 

"...Thank you for your recent application to the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto.

We are excited to let you know about an easy, online application for on-campus residence!  In order to apply for on-campus residence (including student family housing) you need to activate your JOINid (details below).   Since on-campus residence space is limited, you are encouraged to complete the application as soon as possible.

As residence space is often very limited for graduate students, it is highly recommended that you also investigate off-campus housing. Simply login using your JOINid (details below). The Housing Finder service will assist you in finding a place off-campus that best suits your needs..."

I received it as well! I haven't been accepted or rejected yet though since I live out of province. 

Did anyone receive an email about housing? 

"...Thank you for your recent application to the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto.

We are excited to let you know about an easy, online application for on-campus residence!  In order to apply for on-campus residence (including student family housing) you need to activate your JOINid (details below).   Since on-campus residence space is limited, you are encouraged to complete the application as soon as possible.

As residence space is often very limited for graduate students, it is highly recommended that you also investigate off-campus housing. Simply login using your JOINid (details below). The Housing Finder service will assist you in finding a place off-campus that best suits your needs..."

I also got this email for housing...I was accepted a couple weeks ago into the program

Good Luck! 

I also got this email for housing...I was accepted a couple weeks ago into the program

Good Luck! 

Congrats on getting in! :)

I hope they aren't sending it to those who have been rejected! Fingers crossed*

I felt that their acceptance process was extremely fair. Their interviews weighed heavily on their decisions. Maybe you did not mention specific points that they were looking for during your interview. McGill also has an MT program. Did you apply there as well?

No I did not apply there, I wanted something in the city! I agree that there decision was heavily weighed on this interview and I don’t think that’s fair. I admit I failed to answer one of the questions well, but I mean the situation itself is nerve-racking. I don’t think one or two missed points during the interview should determine if I will be a good teacher or not. I have A LOT of experience teaching/tutoring students in small and large groups and I feel that this experience alone shows that I am qualified. Anyways I don’t even believe I was rejected because of a poor answer, I think there was discrimination on my physical appearance.  My friend and I both got rejected and we both have blonde hair and look very young. On the other hand my friend who has darker hair and looks more “mature” was accepted despite having lower grades/less experience.

I got the housing email as well. It's titled "U of T Housing for Graduate Applicants/Students" so I wouldn't get my hopes up based on it.  :unsure:

I didn't get the email about the Meet and Greet, but then again I'm out of the country....

Still waiting for snail mail or my status to change on the SGS website.

No I did not apply there, I wanted something in the city! I agree that there decision was heavily weighed on this interview and I don’t think that’s fair. I admit I failed to answer one of the questions well, but I mean the situation itself is nerve-racking. I don’t think one or two missed points during the interview should determine if I will be a good teacher or not. I have A LOT of experience teaching/tutoring students in small and large groups and I feel that this experience alone shows that I am qualified. Anyways I don’t even believe I was rejected because of a poor answer, I think there was discrimination on my physical appearance.  My friend and I both got rejected and we both have blonde hair and look very young. On the other hand my friend who has darker hair and looks more “mature” was accepted despite having lower grades/less experience.

Yeah, but it'll only gets further nerve-racking once you receive an interview for an actual teaching position. Experience alone isn't enough - you have to be able to convey your experiences articulately and confidently, particularly since this skill's transferable to teaching in general.

By the way, I've seen blonde/light-haired applicants admitted to the program; my friend's an MT student and I've spotted pictures of her classmates. Your friend probably nailed all the points on education that the interviewers wanted to hear.

I got the housing email as well. It's titled "U of T Housing for Graduate Applicants/Students" so I wouldn't get my hopes up based on it.  :unsure:

I didn't get the email about the Meet and Greet, but then again I'm out of the country....

Still waiting for snail mail or my status to change on the SGS website.

Same here... they should have sent out their mail on Thursday or yesterday before/after the post office closed. Here's hoping we all receive good news tomorrow or later this week!

Yeah, but it'll only gets further nerve-racking once you receive an interview for an actual teaching position. Experience alone isn't enough - you have to be able to convey your experiences articulately and confidently, particularly since this skill's transferable to teaching in general.

By the way, I've seen blonde/light-haired applicants admitted to the program; my friend's an MT student and I've spotted pictures of her classmates. Your friend probably nailed all the points on education that the interviewers wanted to hear.

Same here... they should have sent out their mail on Thursday or yesterday before/after the post office closed. Here's hoping we all receive good news tomorrow or later this week!

I KNOW I nailed the interview missing maybe one point. I was confident and I can articulate well. I KNOW the process was unfair. Every interview should have a man and woman present not just two women in the interview room. I KNOW if it had been two other interviewers I would have received an acceptance. I know it is your opinion that I probably did something wrong during my interview, and perhaps your right but I really don’t think I had a bad interview.

Of course they have to have light haired girls in the program! But it is probably more likely that the blonde was interviewed by a man and a woman or two men. This is obviously just speculation.

Regardless, this is just my opinion, and maybe someone will have the same experience and agree with me.

for anyone who has been accepted..do you know what we are supposed to do about courses and registration...I've heard that there is supposed to be an orientation some time in may but I didn't see that anywhere on the website and when I called no one was really helpful...any information would be great! 

Received my acceptance letter today! :) Good luck to everyone who are still waiting!

for anyone who has been accepted..do you know what we are supposed to do about courses and registration...I've heard that there is supposed to be an orientation some time in may but I didn't see that anywhere on the website and when I called no one was really helpful...any information would be great! 

I'm not sure about courses and registration either :S

Received my acceptance letter today! :) Good luck to everyone who are still waiting!

I'm not sure about courses and registration either :S

Congrats! 

i've tried to get ahold of someone but I can't seem to find anyone who knows what's going on haha....what division are you going into?

J/I! How about you?

I'm going to call tomorrow! I'll let you know if I receive any information about courses! 

I'm p/j as of now but am trying to switch into j/i! 

and thanks so much...i sent an email as well so I'll post again if I hear anything 

Edited by DakotaLauree

I'm p/j as of now but am trying to switch into j/i! 

and thanks so much...i sent an email as well so I'll post again if I hear anything 

Sign into your ROSI account and you should see "course enrolment" on the left side! :)

Got accepted to I/S! I'll see you guys in September!

I actually STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail, but long story short, I was led to ROSI and noticed that I was registered as "invited" to I/S for full-time.

So guys, if any of you are UofT grads, check out ROSI! My SGS profile hasn't been updated either.

Got accepted to I/S! I'll see you guys in September!

I actually STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail, but long story short, I was led to ROSI and noticed that I was registered as "invited" to I/S for full-time.

So guys, if any of you are UofT grads, check out ROSI! My SGS profile hasn't been updated either.

Congratulations! :)

Got accepted to I/S! I'll see you guys in September!   I actually STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail, but long story short, I was led to ROSI and noticed that I was registered as "invited" to I/S for full-time.   So guys, if any of you are UofT grads, check out ROSI! My SGS profile hasn't been updated either.
Congratulations!!!

Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I had my phone interview at the end of February and still no phone call, email, snail mail or change of status on SGS. Should I call?

Deadline for applications to MT still pending, too.

Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I had my phone interview at the end of February and still no phone call, email, snail mail or change of status on SGS. Should I call?

Deadline for applications to MT still pending, too.

I've been the lurking these forums for awhile - but just an fyi: my boyfriend applied to MT after the deadline and had an interview last Tuesday. They said he would hear by the end of next week (19th) so they are definitely still filling spots. I'd give them a call - no harm in asking.