Lynch vs. Penn Gse (with$$)

trig

I know there aren't a lot of applicants for Language/literacy out there, but I figured grad cafe-ers would have a better insight into these schools than I do...

I applied to "different" programs for each school: Language&literacy for Penn gse and C&I for Lynch. Still, I applied to Lynch with intended concentration in Language/literacy/culture so I guess it's safe to say I'm on the search for the school that offers better language instruction courses. (English as primary language as well as TESOL)

I'm also hoping to take some Lit courses outside the gse, and ultimately return to school for PhD..

The caveat Is that Penn gse offered scholarship and GA (10k). Lynch didn't.

But the faculty for my program at Penn gse also seemed to be on the younger side, and with professor Pica gone, I'm just worried I won't find a professor who has had both great research and teaching experience at Penn.

I'm not sure what Lynch C&I Program is like though, so I'm utterly lost...

I'll definitely end up with a huge loan with no funding from BC, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off financially (well, eventually..)

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you in advance, and congratulations everyone who made it this application cycle! :)

Edited by trig

Hi! I haven't posted yet on gradcafe but this topic was too relevant for me to pass up....I am in a very similar situation. I applied and got some money to Penn GSE for TESOL, and am waiting to hear from BU about funding for their TESOL Master's. In both cases though I want to take a variety of courses, and maybe end up returning to school for a Ph.D in language instruction/teaching or some sort. I studied linguistics in undergrad.

Do you think the other professors at Penn are lacking in research or teaching experience? Curious what you meant by that. Also, feel free to send me a message. You're right, there don't seem to be so many language/literacy people but we seem to have pretty similar interests.

I'm in the same situation with Lynch School. Accepted into their Applied Developmental M.A. program- but not offered any funding. Apparently they offer lots of positions for graduate assitantships, so I will apply for those. Unless you feel strongly about BC and the faculty, I would take Penn since they did offer you funding and a GA.