Hello everyone,

I took my GRE for the first time this February, and I received my scores recently. My verbal and math scores seem to be fine, but my essay percentile is quite low... perhaps I should've done a practice essay or something. :/

Verbal 167 - 98%

Math 164 - 91%

Essay 4.5 - 72%

I'm planning to apply to some French and Comparative literature programs this upcoming fall. Should I retake the GRE to boost my essay score? Do universities care about these GRE essay scores?

Thanks in advance,

:)

Would that also be the case for humanities concentrators?

Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by ask

As far as I can tell, yes. If you have to submit a writing sample, that is MUCH more important. The GRE essays are not generally considered very useful for much of anything. I was a writing tutor/grader for a year before I took the GRE, so I had to read quite a number of GRE-style essays, but for real writing, you should take the time to properly plan what you want to say and do multiple drafts. Maybe writing a short essay in 1/2 hour says something about your writing ability, but I'm not sure how useful it ultimately is.

Pretty much all departments agree that the AW score is completely worthless. As long as it's not, like, a 2 or 2.5, you are fine. These are formulaic essays that are graded by a computer, so there's essentially no value in them.

I'm assuming anything in the humanities or comp. lit requires a writing sample, so no committe will even look at the GRE essay part. Your other scores are great! Don't retake!

:)

4.5 is definitely in the acceptable range of scores, and many programs ignore AW scores altogether. however, it wouldn't hurt to ask around at your top destinations. sometimes admissions committees (or a single person on the committee) may like the AW scoring system as a measurement for applicants. in the rare event that it matters then retake the gre. also i wouldn't lose any sleep over it- you CRUSHED verbal anyway!

My scores were similar. The writing score isn't great, but it's not that bad either. I addressed it in my cover letter and explained that, "The writing score does not reflect the true extent of my abilities when I have access to ample resources and time to review and revise my work. My undergraduate grades are a much better indicator of my writing abilities." I still had a very strong application with a 4.5 on this section and got in to my top choice.

Honestly, I don't even think it's worth drawing attention to in your SOP or any other communication with an admissions committee. Your score is acceptable, and there seems to be widespread agreement that the AW section is of minimal importance.

I would not retake it, nor would I bring attention to it, provided your writing sample is strong and/or you have something published. I got a 4.5 and I got into my top choice.

The essays are graded in 2-3 minutes by a grad student. I think adcoms understand that. Moreover, 72nd percentile is not bad; it's just not what you wanted perhaps.

No sane person wants to take the GRE more than once. Let it go.

Thank you everyone!

Everyone seems to agree that I shouldn't retake it, which I'm more than happy to hear. I'm just glad I'm done with the GRE now :)