Jump to content

UNC - "Computer Graphics" vs "Graphics: User Interaction"


Recommended Posts


I got PhD admit from UNC. They say that they are ranked 1 in "Graphics : User Interaction" and ranked 2 in "Computer Graphics" (Acc to USNEWS). What is the difference between these two specialty fields ? Can anyone point out the different web pages (lab pages) for the same.

Thank you !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure about the details of UNC. In general, computer graphics has a lot of research topics, including motion tracking, animation, etc. Many of them are used in places like animation industry and disconnected to interaction. Computer graphic(CG) and human-computer interaction(HCI) are two mainstream research areas, and I don't heard about the "graphics: user interaction" you mentioned.

In UNC's web, you can find they have these two research areas: CG and HCI. But there is no sign of "graphics: user interaction". I think it might be a subarea of CG, or a lab's specific research topic combining the CG and HCI. Ask administrators of UNC might be a better choice. I hope my answer could help you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the following at: http://www.cs.unc.edu/cms/research/research-areas/computer-graphics

"Computer graphics research at UNC investigates the representation, creation, and manipulation of image data that serve as the visual interface between people and computers. One of our primary research focuses is interactive graphics where the main challenges are the rapid generation of photorealistic images and high-quality simulation in response to user inputs, as well as the development of both software and hardware mechanisms for human interaction with graphical systems."

To me, this description seems very similar to how they describe HCI: http://www.cs.unc.edu/cms/research/research-areas/human-computer-interaction

Your best bet is to contact someone like jyyhope said. If the Ph.D. acceptance letter is like the Master's, then you should have been given a 'contact professor' for correspondence. I'd start there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.