Hey y'all,

I've gotten a proposal accepted to contribute to a book project (humblebrag). The problem I'm having is with obtaining permission to use documents which the Bosnian archives have donated to the USHMM collection. I need their permission to make copies of the microfilm to do my research. I've tried emailing, faxing, and snail-mailing them to no avail. I suppose I can try to call them, but that would be problematic as my spoken Bosnian is poor. Does anyone have any experience/advice for dealing with issues with foreign archives? Thanks!

Do you know anyone else that has contacts at the archive? If so, maybe that person can help you get the records you need. Have you talked to the folks at the USHMM about who you should be contacting? That may be another avenue to pursue. Or do you know anyone that speaks better Bosnian than you? If so, you could ask that person to help you with the phone call aspect of getting permission.