Columbia or TUM+CMU

Done

Hey,

I have a little problem: I planned to apply for a Ph.D. but after consideration I delayed my application bc I wrote 2 bachelors in only 2.5 years and thought I would need to do more research.

So my plan was to do the Master at the Robotic Department of the Technical University of Munich (I am German) and to go to the Carnegie Mellon University for 8 month to publish and research (I already have both admissions) and then apply for a Ph.D.

But as my professors already wrote all my LORs I just applied for a Master at Columbia University just because I did not want to tell them: Well u spend so much time on my recommendation but now I do not need it anymore.....

Long story short today I got accepted to Columbia and now I do not really know what to do?

How good is a MS from Columbia (My field of interest is robotics) and how hard is it to get a good job?

How likely do I get into another good Ph.D. program after my MS at Columbia?

How good is the school itself?

What would u do?

thanks a lot!

Oh and i forgot: My second bachelor is in business-corporate finance. So I could also imagine to go into consulting or banking after my MS. (I know these two subjects differ a lot but its an option)

Edited by Done

Well I was JUST at Columbia a couple days ago for interviews in the biomedical eng department. I am not as familiar with the robotics field and not even sure which engineering department you applied to, but I can say that Columbia makes a HUGE emphasis on business and consulting. From the bme department, like prob half the PhD grads go into business or consulting after. I also heard from current students that Columbia gets heavily recruited by consulting firms. So if those are most important for you, I don't think you would be disappointed on that end. Other than that, I am not sure how good the school is from an academic standpoint in your field.

Well I was JUST at Columbia a couple days ago for interviews in the biomedical eng department. I am not as familiar with the robotics field and not even sure which engineering department you applied to, but I can say that Columbia makes a HUGE emphasis on business and consulting. From the bme department, like prob half the PhD grads go into business or consulting after. I also heard from current students that Columbia gets heavily recruited by consulting firms. So if those are most important for you, I don't think you would be disappointed on that end. Other than that, I am not sure how good the school is from an academic standpoint in your field.

hey thanks so far.

I applied for the mechanical engineering department.