Stanford Interviews? Berkeley Acceptances?

As of right now there have been two Stanford interviews posted. I didn't realize that the Stanford English department conducted interviews, and it looks like Stanford doesn't usually notify until the very end of February. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone who has been offered an interview care to share?

Also, there have been three Berkeley acceptances posted. That doesn't seem like very many, given that Berkeley usually makes about 40 offers. Surely there should be more coming?

If anyone has any information on either of these topics, I would love to hear it!

I've been wondering the same thing. Last year, it looks like Berkeley notified from Feb. 13-26, so I'm thinking (*hoping*) we haven't heard the last from them. And Stanford didn't email people until Feb. 29, so I don't know what is going on with the interviews. Anybody have any brilliant theories they care to share? Enlighten me, PLEASE!

The Grad Cafe owns my life.

I don't really know about how/when more people will be accepted to Berkeley, but their prospective students weekend is the second weekend in March, so I doubt they're done notifying everyone yet. Good luck!

The Stanford interview request came via e-mail, mentioned that the department had read the applicant's file "with pleasure," and requested a twenty-minute interview with the Department Chair, Director of Graduate Admissions, and/or Director of Graduate Studies on either Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday of this coming week (February 16, 17, and 19, respectively).

My (completely uninformed) guess for why Stanford is interviewing for the first time: they're cutting their cohort size this year and are struggling to whittle down acceptances/determine waitlist. Since they guarantee full funding to all admitted students and are hurting from blows to their endowment, they can't afford to make more offers than they can actually *afford*. Their initial "Your Application Is Complete" e-mail stated that they were hoping to have decisions made by early February, so clearly they've run into more of a snag with decision-making than they anticipated, at least with regard to this application season. They're likely using interviews to rank everyone on their shortlist and make final cuts.

Regarding Berkeley, only phone calls have gone out, starting on Wednesday of last week. The tangible letters of admission likely haven't been mailed and, as was mentioned, the prospective student weekend isn't until mid-March (14-16 to be exact). My (somewhat informed) guess is that the calls that went out last week were to students nominated for fellowships. I suspect there will be a slew of acceptances early this week, followed shortly after by rejections. Don't hold me to that, of course... It could also be that they're cutting their cohort (California is in a serious, serious economic crisis

Good to know.

re: Berkeley -- does this mean the rest of the admits won't be getting money? ie, that the money Berkeley spends on postage will amount to something more than what they're offering? If so... no matter what the letter says, they may as well keep it.

Can't say for sure, but I highly doubt it. There are a lot of different kinds of fellowships and grants, some of which are awarded by a campus-wide fellowship committee and some of which are purely department-based. From what I've read, the English department can only nominate a few students (possibly only one or two) for each of the campus-wide fellowships, but they also receive money from the University (Departmental Block Grant) to spend as they see fit. Depending on how many students they admit and how much money they receive, they divvy up the funding among the students they want the very, very most (who have not already been nominated for a University fellowship or who aren't receiving grant money from other sources). It's the only way they can compete for top talent against the Ivies which, apart from Harvard and Cornell (I think?), guarantee full funding to all admitted students.

So when I suggested that they've only gotten around to notifying fellowship nominees, I meant campus-wide fellowship nominees. They likely have to meet an early internal deadline for those nominations, and therefore would make those decisions first. (Pure speculation, of course, but I think it makes sense.) Then they can sit back and decide on department-controlled funding. They'll find out which campus-wide nominations have turned into which awards in a couple weeks; according to the website(s), Departmental Block Grant decisions take longer. I also suspect that if any of their nominations fall through, they replace them with Block Grants, which means they might refrain from awarding all of their funding until they can make sure all their top choices are covered. (If the nominations all turn into awards, for example, they can then go ahead and offer funding to admitted students further down their list.)

(Their website says they can typically offer fellowship-type funding to about half of the students they admit; slightly more than their expected entering class. I assume this applies even if they cut their cohort, because this year they have less money overall to spend.)

HOWEVER, you also have to fill out the FAFSA, which may help you qualify for need-based funding (fellowships, as far as I can tell, are merit-based; there are also plenty of need-based options) and loans; also, TA-ships and Readerships (which include tuition/fee remission) become readily available to all non-funded students starting in the third year. Still a raw deal if you've been offered full funding for all years by another top program, but you also have to allow for the possibility of a fellowship-nominated/awarded student deciding not to attend Berkeley, which would free up those funds for the next person in line. I suppose, in the case of zero funding offered, it comes down to how much you love Berkeley's program (which, from your response, seems to be "not as much as you need guaranteed funding").

(I suppose you've realized that Duke and WUSTL aren't exactly second-rate options! Congrats on the acceptances!)

Sorry, I don't know anything about Berkeley. My above post was referring to Stanford.

although, given how few people posted acceptances to Berkeley on this page, I'd guess that Berkeley is nowhere near finished with its acceptances -- but who knows.

I don't know, but my instinct is to say it ain't over til its over - or til the fat lady sings, as they say. I wouldn't assume a rejection unless I were holding it in my hand, if only because this process is volatile and random enough that you've got to allow for a few surprises.

kfed -- regarding the information you received about Stanford, do you know if they interviewed everyone to whom they will offer admission? In other words, if you weren't interviewed, is it unlikely that you will be admitted?

Anyone else should feel free to respond to this as well, of course -- just thought that kfed might have the inside scoop!