Deferring Grad School/Denying Acceptance and Reapplying

Foodguy08

So I applied for a Master's program at McGill University for Fall 2012. I applied in November, because it was stated that they have rolling admissions even though the deadline is in March. I wanted to get accepted as soon as possible, but was told last month that they decided to wait till the end of March to review all the applicants. Well, when I found this out I decided to apply for other programs just in case McGill does not accept me. I have since found a few opportunity that only lasts a year that I may do before wanting to go to grad school I am unsure if they defer grad school programs, but let's say I get accepted and they do not defer. If I decide to deny the acceptance, how do you think it will affect my application if I apply again for Fall 2013? Would it increase my chances since I was accepted already, or decrease since I denied? Anyone been in this situation?

I am in a similar situation. I would ask if they defer admission - at least you'll have the info. then. Unfortunately, in my case, they will not defer and I have to decide whether it's worth it to re-apply. But I am glad I asked. :) I would advise you to speak with the program director and ask.

One university that I was accepted to last year did not exactly allow deferrals. Accepted students could re-apply the following year without resubmitting documents or repaying the fee, but they were not guaranteed admission. I did update a couple of things - my final transcript and personal statement. Said school accepted me with full funding this year (vs none last year).So long as you do something productive with your year off and explain it in an updated SOP, I would expect them to look favorably on your re-application.

When I spoke with the program director, I just said that I am really excited about the admission but wanted to ask their policy on deferring admission. I kept it short and simple and the director seemed fine with me asking that question. Good luck!