Geography Cliches

PhDcomz

Hi Geographers!

I'm posting as a non-geographer who knows little about your discipline - though I am familiar with the general trials and tribulations of doctoral programs. That being said I'm wondering if any of you can offer some insight into geography-specific research problems, advisor issues, teaching issues, or anything of that nature that geography PhD (or MA) students face. This information is basically needed for a comedic project (film) so cliches that would resonate throughout your discipline would be great. We've been looking at some department websites (mostly those that have been mentioned in your threads - clark, syracuse, washington, penn state...) with hopes that those are archetypal geography departments that will give us a better understanding of what your discipline entails but nothing is as good as getting student perspectives. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!