Transferring to Cornell MEng CS

KodeSeeker

Hi Folks,

I have an admit at RIT for the fall session of 12 for masters in IT, but I realized pretty late that I would like to go for the MEng program at Cornell. Would it be possible for me to transfer (credit as well) from RIT to Cornell , provided I keep good grades at RIT ?

Thank you for your input

MEng is a professional degree that usually lasts for a year and Cornell won't usually let you transfer credits since the program is only for a year. It might help to keep up good grades from RIT if you want to transfer to Cornell for MEng program. You have to think about what you want to do after masters. If you want to pursue Phd, it's better to have MS rather than MEng, but if you plan to go to industry after masters, MEng might not be a bad choice.

Hope it helps

MEng is a professional degree that usually lasts for a year and Cornell won't usually let you transfer credits since the program is only for a year. It might help to keep up good grades from RIT if you want to transfer to Cornell for MEng program. You have to think about what you want to do after masters. If you want to pursue Phd, it's better to have MS rather than MEng, but if you plan to go to industry after masters, MEng might not be a bad choice.

Hope it helps

I have a feeling enochrules meant to say PhD program. I would agree with that. It would only make sense to transfer if you were trying to get into a PhD after, but it wouldn't make sense to get a MEng instead of the M.S. if that is your goal. Basically, MEng programs in general are usually like 1-1.5 years and each school has very specific requirements. It doesn't seem likely that any school would prefer transfer students and they probably won't transfer all your credits, if any at all. It seems like you should just make a choice to either do the RIT program now and finish it or wait and reapply next year for Cornell's MEng. However, keep in mind that Cornell is a very tough eng school to get into and it wouldn't be wise to completely bank on going to Cornell. You should apply to other programs as well.

Thanks for the reply folks! Im quite sure of wanting to go into the industry rather than do a PhD. But unfortunately, waiting for a year and reapplying to Cornell will be a non-option for me , since quite frankly I'm becoming an old man :P . Moreover, I come from a non CS undergrad, I was looking at taking up the courses at RIT and( hopefully) doing well in them and then transferring to Cornell, and possibly finish off the (M.Eng ) masters in a year.The major attraction to Cornell of course is the brand name and repute, I'm not quite sure whether RIT shares that or is a brand school that way. Your thoughts on that would be great too. Thanks!

P.S. My focus is the industry and NOT the academia :)

• 1 year later...

The Cornell CS M Eng website clearly says no transfer credits.

Also it is a year program anyway, you need to finish your degree in 1 year. So that sounds like it would fit your schedule.