Washington State University

wils0665

Hi,

I recently accepted an offer of admission to the graduate program in experimental psychology at WSU. Any other new WSU grad students out there? I am moving to Pullman in August and looking for a roommate!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I'll be attending WSU or Stony Brook (I've got offers for both in Political Psychology), but I'm leaning toward WSU right now, considering I can live in Pullman without being constantly broke. Where were you thinking about living? I'm not sure if I wanna do on-campus or off, I guess it just depends on living expenses and convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted an offer to WSU starting this Fall in the SBS. I'll be moving to Pullman early next month (May) to get a start on my research and to work over the summer. From what I understand, there is already a waiting list for Graduate Housing, so if you were planning on that I would maybe recommend looking off campus for other housing alternatives. I have already submitted an application and plan on signing a lease for a place at one of the DABCO properties in town. It seems the cost of living there is pretty cheap...which is AWESOME.

In other news, are there really so few of us going to WSU in the fall? Or is there just no one else who has posted on this thread yet?

I just accepted an offer to WSU for the fall - also in Political Psychology! No idea re housing options at the moment. I need to get through the next 5 days and graduate before I can wrap my mind around moving across country.

I finally sent off my acceptance for WSU's offer, so it's all official! I'm feeling pretty much the opposite of ncgirl though; I can't concentrate on this last week because I'm too busy getting ready for the big move!

There's plenty of admits to WSU this year (9 in my program, according to Dr. Preston), so I'm sure that this board isn't representative of the entering class.

Jaylizzle, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you going to pay per month for your unit? I haven't looked too much into housing yet, but I'd prefer to live off-campus, I think.

@Thorslilcuz - me too. I live on my own now and I really want to see if I can find a quiet little apt somewhere off campus. @Jaylizzle - are you in the political psych program too? I don't plan on moving until August, tho - which is kinda stressing me out. My TA begins 8/16. I need to work this summer for some "extra" (hahahahaha) $$$$. It's really cool to pre-meet the cohort!

@ncgirl- Hah you're lucky, I live with 4 other roommates right now. I like that (it's cheaper and they're fun), but I doubt I'll be able to make friends quickly enough to get the same situation in Pullman. I also really need to get working on making some cash this summer, or sell my motorcycle. I'll probably do both, considering our stipends aren't quite as generous as I'd hoped ;)

Good to talk with someone going through the same things though! I wonder if Dr. Preston would send us our cohort's contact info, so I could see if anyone else is interested in splitting a place... hmm...

@Thorslilcuz and @ncgirl12 - I am going to be living in the Maple Valley complex owned by DABCO. The units start at about $530 for a 1 bedroom, and they have a discounted rate for internet available. It looks like electric, gas and cable/internet are up to the tenant, but the units themselves are relatively new and in good shape. I was lucky enough to get an assistantship, so that will definitely be defraying the cost of my rent and utilities. They also have some 2 bedroom options available at some of their properties if you are looking for something lower (so you have the option to get a roommate if necessary). Not sure that any of the cheaper studio options are available. The downside is that you have to pay your security deposit AND last month's rent at signing AND your first month's rent at move-in. It seems to be a lot up front, but they also look like relatively nice places, so hopefully it's worth it. Craigslist also might have some cheaper options in terms of residential units rather than complexes (and I have definitely been scouring for good furniture listings...).

And I am actually in the Biological Sciences program working towards a Masters in Zoology. I get to work at the Bear Center on campus, so I am super excited to get there earlier in the summer and get started!

@jaylizzle - I am seriously jealous right now; the bear center was one of the most impressive things about the university to me! Do you think they let non-biology folks tour the facilities?

As for the housing front, I've been doing some research and it looks like DABCO is the way to go. I'm all about cheap, so if I can find a roommate, I'll probably get one of the 2 bedroom units at Providence Court or one of the other properties close to campus. The hard part is finding a roommate who is reasonably clean, quiet, and sane...

I promise I'll be back in two weeks. I have to get through finals and graduate. Thinking about finding an apartment from afar and moving is freaking me out. :) Thorslilcuz - PM me when you get a chance and let's exchange info? Would be nice to at least know someone in our cohort! :) Re stipends - yep. I'll probably have to get something part-time just to keep the lights on. Even if rent is $530, I can't see how it's all going to stretch...

• 2 weeks later...

So WSU has a Facebook app for new students (apps.facebook.com/wsu_app/). It was a hassle to get signed into it, as my email address wasn't yet officially registered with the school, but if you email the app managers or post on the "WSU Future Cougars" page (https://www.facebook.com/wsufuturecougars) they'll help you get it. I haven't really played with it much, but it seems like it might be a good way to find potential flatmates...

Hope you all are having a grand finals week. I graduate tomorrow!

• 9 months later...

I accepted an offer for grad studies in Computer Science. I come from Iran and will just be graduating with Masters here in July so i won't be moving earlier than August. I checked the on-campus single students housing, they're cheap and after all on-campus. But seems like there's no chance to get into that. So I'll be looking for flatmates.

I accepted an offer for grad studies in Computer Science. I come from Iran and will just be graduating with Masters here in July so i won't be moving earlier than August. I checked the on-campus single students housing, they're cheap and after all on-campus. But seems like there's no chance to get into that. So I'll be looking for flatmates.

guys after accepting the admission offer in Zzusis, my application status there has again changed to "complete" (the circle) rather than admitted. Is yours also like that?

• 1 month later...

How is the housing situation going for everyone? I am having a difficult time finding a place and graduate housing is pretty full (waitlist). I am a little nervous I won't get in to the grad housing...now looking at places but all of them seem to be older houses. Has anyone looked at duplexes there? I am looking for a spacious 2 bedroom for under (700$) in Pullman.....EEEeek