Dual degree programs (SAIS) ?

I was accepted to SAIS this fall and will probably be attending. I'm only one year out of undergrad and not sure what I want to do with my life yet. I have considered the idea of applying to law school next year and applying for the dual degree program. I couldn't find much information on it, but I was wondering if anyone here knows how it works (how many semesters you spend at each, what types of SAIS credits may be applied to your JD, etc.) at either Stanford or UVA.

Additionally, I'm curious what types of careers (in law or otherwise) that this dual degree would give you a leg up in, versus just someone who has a JD.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

I think it would be hard for any of us to give you advice unless you provide more about what your background and area of interest are. If you are in public health that would yield very different responses and perspectives than if you were in international trade, human rights, conflict resolution, energy, etc.

If you have no idea on what you want to do with your life, I would be very hesitant to pursue not only one, but two advanced degrees, costing several years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would only pursue a dual degree if I knew exactly why I was pursuing those two degrees and I knew they would be absolutely necessary for me to advance in my field.

It sounds like at this point you're looking to get a dual JD-MA and find a career where that would 'give you a leg up,' and I'd suggest to you thinking about that the other way around: finding a career you want to pursue and figuring out what degree advancing in that field would require.

Good luck!