PhD in CS at UCSD vs UCLA vs UMD?

anon1

Never heard of UMD. Between UCLA and UCSD, definitely take UCLA. UCSD is awful.

This seems like a strange opinion to have considering that all three programs are ranked #14 by US News. Particularly strange that you were not even aware of the existence of a top 15 CS program called the University of Maryland.

Anyway, I was at UCSD last week and saw their CS program a bit and it seemed pretty nice, though I don't really know a lot about it (was visiting the Math program).

Having lived in or close to all 3 places, I have to say I like San Diego the most. The school is in an nice area and you can find a lot of affordable housing. There is good reliable transportation and not a lot of traffic jams like UCLA. I haven't lived in Maryland for a while so I can't help you as much with taht.

I can't decide which is better. Any of the three stand out to anyone?

I don't think you are asking the right question. Do you have a specific interest in CS? Have you been offered funding from a specific Professor or Research Group. These are questions that you need to think about in addition to the the overall department.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use