results page: "...via email..."

frankdux

are most of these results that are posted on the results page that say "accepted/rejected via email" because of a direct and unrequested email directly from the school, or are they usually emails from the school that were a result of a student emailing and asking for an update on the status of their application?

i ask for a few reasons:

1. do many prospective grad students take the initiative and ask schools to tell them?

2. if so, after what length of time would it be appropriate to email a program and ask for a status update? (i've heard nothing from 11 schools. i figure i shouldnt be nervous til mid march. but i'm still curious to know.)

3. last year i had to email one of my programs in early april to get a response out of them. it was a rejection. and yet i never got any official letter or anything saying i was rejected. i wonder if i hadnt emailed if i would have ever gotten a response period.

My acceptances and rejections via email have been unprompted emails directly from the department.

What discipline are you in? And have the schools you applied to informed other applicants? If they have, I say wait 1 week and then email the grad coordinator or DGS and say you have other offers and are trying to schedule visits, etc.

I'm in statistics...kind of similar to applied math. All my acceptances/rejects were unsolicited e-mails from the departments or the graduate school.

And you have some kind of fortitude if you can make it till mid march before e-mailing!! I'm way too impatient ;)

This is completely informal of course, but I have noticed that most of the people who e-mailed to check their status are rejected. I am basing that on the results postings that I read every day on this site - has anyone else noticed that almost any time someone writes "i emailed to find out" they are always rejected? Maybe there is a link... :?

This is completely informal of course, but I have noticed that most of the people who e-mailed to check their status are rejected. I am basing that on the results postings that I read every day on this site - has anyone else noticed that almost any time someone writes "i emailed to find out" they are always rejected? Maybe there is a link... :?

Nope