Advice about funding?

erinkat

Hey guys, so I seem to be in a situation that isn't going to end well for attending this year...I've been accepted at an amazing program that does exactly what I want to do and is also in a really exciting location, and they also offered me a yearly scholarship....which is really quite small and would still leave a cost of at least 50k for the program, which I see as a hugely irresponsible amount to cover with loans on top of my undergrad loans. In addition, its location is a city with a high cost of living. I am still in contact with the program director and hope to hear more about further funding opportunities...but based on past conversations I am not optimistic that this program even has funds beyond this scholarship that seems to be the standard. I suppose another option would be to ask to defer to save more money while working for another year....does anyone have experience doing this?

I also have acceptance at another program that would certainly get me into the career field I'm headed for, but is in an academic area different from others I applied to and just isn't as interesting to me. It's an Anthropology program while all others I applied to were American Studies or Decorative Arts. They may well offer me a decent funding package (no detail yet, and this rides on someone else turning down their spot), and this program is in the city where I currently live.

My problem is that I am unsure if I should really consider the program where I live now if they give me a good offer since it just isn't really what I want to be doing. I mostly just applied because it's relevant to my career goals and would not require relocation. I want to study Colonial American Material Culture but this program is on the west coast...any advice?

From what I am reading, it seems like you are going into a MA program, which for many universities, do not have a lot of funding options because of the nature of a MA. If I am wrong here and you are going for a PhD, then this changes things.

You can try to defer and go again. Again, for an MA, it is different. A lot of times, research is not as heavily pushed in a MA degree and therefore you are more likely to be accepted for a deferral. But for a PhD, it is a delicate state because professors choose you because they are ready to work with you (maybe not the first year but certainly in the 2nd). And so if this is for a MA degree, deferral and reapplying is okay as long as you tell the program that is what you are doing - saving money so that you can afford the program. I don't recommend getting more loans since you already have loans. I actually did get loans for my MA and BA but I kind of regret it...I mean I dont regret getting my degrees because I had such a great experience. But I do regret not taking a step back and realizing the debt I was walking into. Because I also want to get a PhD and so now money is a big factor in my deciding process.

Sooo is this for a MA because my info will change if for a PhD.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Yes, it is an MA program. Sorry I left that out :wacko: I'm starting to think deferral might be my best bet, along with hoping they still give me the scholarship they offered me this year...