Better luck next time??

MSW13

So I have ridden the application wave. First with the application anxiety of where to apply, then the brief but welcome relief of getting all documents in on time. This leading to giddy anticipation of getting in to my top schools only to be met by deafening silence from adcomms. Then finally, getting the news that this year was a bust.

At first, I didn't think I could possibly go through this again. It almost seems masochistic to do this to yourself twice..or more.

Which leads me to this post.....how many of you have applied more than once? Are odds better the second time around? Do schools recognize perseverance?

I am not the right person to ask this question because this is my first year applying but, I would imagine an MSW is a type of degree where perseverance means something. I think it shows maturity to go through the application process more than once. It also shows dedication and really proves that you aren´t someone to balk at challenges.

Edited to add- If you are going to apply again, I would make sure there is some extra work experience or even volunteer experience to add to your resume. I would probably also mention in my SOP how the year had helped me gain something that makes me an even better fit for an MSW this time around. But, that´s just what I would do. Maybe someone that has applied more than once can share their experience.

Edited by allyba

MSW programs are actually exactly the type of program in which I think an extra year would benefit an applicant. Some people may disagree with this, but with other types of graduate programs (many types of PhDs and MDs come to mind) there is very little you can do to improve your application after a certain point and (anecdotally) people who re-apply don't seem to have different results. Plus, unlike those programs, MSW programs admit, on average, a much much higher number of applicants so there is no reason you would continually get rejected if you take steps to improve your application. IMO the major issues with MSW applications are a pretty east fix and basically fall into the following:

1. Additional human services experience is a must. Work or volunteer - it seems admissions committees like to see some combination of the two, and internships are also always good to add if possible. Show that you used this extra time to add to your experience and are committed to working in the field.

2. Grades. I don't know what your stats are (if you share them maybe we could give more specific advice), but if you have weaknesses in your transcript or could benefit at all from taking some additional classes to supplement your undergraduate coursework definitely consider taking some community college classes. If you have cash to throw around you could try to take graduate level courses in social work as a nonmatriculating student, but it's super expensive at most schools. Personally, I graduated with a BA in Political Science and Gender Studies, so in the time I took between undergrad and grad school applications I took some basic courses in psychology - intro, human development and in statistics. Research methods (in psych) is another good class to add to your record if you don't have it yet. If you can get good grades in these classes it will help boost your application and you may even be able to get letters of rec out of it if you are a particularly stand-out student.

3. Letters of rec. If you have any doubts about yours seek out different recommenders. Volunteer supervisors can make great recommenders. If you don't have strong academic recommendations you may be able to get better ones by taking extra classes.

4. Statement of purpose. Make sure you are able to articulate reasonable career goals for yourself as a social worker that are connected in some way to what the program you are looking at offers and to whatever extent possible your prior work or volunteer experience. Familiarize yourself with the programs you are applying to and make your application specific - why do you want to attend THAT school? What experiences will your bring to your class there? What drew you to this field and kept you interested? Answer the questions in the application as fully and completely as you can.

I have not applied more than once, but I did get in to all the schools I applied to this time around and researched the process extensively for over 2 years before I applied. I have no doubt that I would have been rejected had I applied straight out of undergrad because I needed to work on areas 1 and 2 as described above in order to have a strong application. I needed more human services specific experience (rather than political experience) and coursework that showed I was capable of completing graduate level work in a discipline in which students (even macro students, like myself) need to have proficiency in understanding and working with people.

When the dust from the application storm settles, email admissions to inquire about your application. Get a sense of what could use some tweaking so its not as much of a guessing game. Admissions director at info sessions encouraged applicants to seek out advice if they weren't accepted. Also make sure the programs that you're applying to gives out-of-state or international students a fair shot. Some programs take the most qualified in-state or even within their region and don't seriously consider out of region applicants.

With a year of experience and an even more competitive application, you'll be at an advantage and simply irresistible to many programs.

Thanks to everyone for posting such helpful comments :)

A bit of background: I received my BSW years ago and have been working in the field for well over a decade. When I graduated, I wasn't thinking about getting my MSW--call it a combination of poor future planning, immaturity and burn out. My grades were not impressive but I was content to graduate with a B-.

Fast forward and here I am, all grown up, all mature and all eager to get my learn-on! I applied to the 3 local schools in my area. Unlike in the USA, we in Canada dont have quite as much selection between schools. The standards are high for all of them and what I learned is that if you dont have that basic B average, they wont even look at your application, no matter what else you bring to the table.

I spoke with the admin secretary at one on the schools and confirmed that the only area I'm really lacking in is my Gpa. So now I have registered for courses for the first time since the 90's and hope to pull up my average. As far as experience goes, I have a ton of it. Part of why I want/need to get my MSW is because I've hit a ceiling in terms of what I can do with my BSW.

Another question, are there a lot of older students in MSW classes or are they all mostly recent grads?

I don't know anywhere here that GPA plays such a large role for returning students. I hear the grade inflation problem isn't as big in Canada as it is here either. Are you within reasonable distance of any US cities that offer an MSW?

If GPA is really the deal then it sounds like your plan to take some courses to raise your GPA may be your best bet. Good luck.

You are right, grade inflation is not such a big issue in Canada like it is in the States. I also know quite a few people who made the trek across the border to get their MSW (and other advanced degrees--many folks go there for medicine because it is so incredibly competitive over here). I dont live too far from the border (about 90min from the Niagara Falls border) but it wouldn't be worth it to commute. Honestly, I couldn't imagine accumulating that kind of tuition debt. If I stay at home for the 1yr MSW program, I can expect to pay no more than 10K for everything (tuition, books etc). What you guys pay over there is just outrageous!

I was very surprised that my application wasn't even looked at. I had wrongly assumed that years of experience as a Registered Social Worker in challenging positions would be enough for them to overlook the mere 2% between a B- and B that I was missing. But it doesn't work that way! I think that in the States, you have so many schools that it can sometimes be hard to fill the seats, so you are more likely to take chances on students who may not have the Gpa but show promise. Here, you routinely have 600 + students competing for 30-150 spots (depending on the school). They have many qualified applicants so they dont have that same pressure to fill the seats. ...this is just my opinion anyway! No research to back it up!

As I register for courses one of the first things I noticed is that they offer 'participation' marks! Back in the day, your mark was made up of exams/essays....maybe this is where the grade inflation comes from?? I can barely believe that you can get 15% just for talking in class!