ASA Honors program/ roundtable (for undergrads and graduating seniors)

Darth.Vegan

Anyone else here apply for this? I just found that my paper was accepted today, I am SUPER EXCITED.

"Dear _________:

Congratulations! Your application has been reviewed and we are happy to announce that you have been selected to participate in this year’s American Sociological Association’s (ASA) Honors Program in Denver, CO! The Honors Program is designed to give you a rich and stimulating introduction to our discipline and to the ASA Annual Meeting, the “premier” event for sociologists around the country."

Awesome. Anyone else apply for this or going to the ASA this year?

After two NSF internship rejections I needed this!!!!

Hey, I attended this last year. ASA is a very intimidating conference, but the conference and the program is what you make of it. Don't get scared and not participate in anything!!

I used the conference and the program as a platform to meet potential graduate school mentors. It worked really well. I am sad I wont be able to attend the conference this year because I would like to see some of my old friends and the cool sociologists again.

if you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you connect with potential mentors? Some people have said to email them beforehand and try to have a meal with them asking about the program but I'm interested in many different ways of networking and I'd be interested to hear how you did that

if you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you connect with potential mentors? Some people have said to email them beforehand and try to have a meal with them asking about the program but I'm interested in many different ways of networking and I'd be interested to hear how you did that

You can always walk right up and introduce yourself. That's what I usually do!

Hey, I forgot to congratulation ya'll!! Congats!! ASA Honors program is tough to get into I think it had a 60% rejection rate when I did. Also, for you AaronM to present at ASA as an undergraduate is really great and impressive! :D

There a couple different ways you can meet people. I emailed a couple people and asked them if I could meet them at a certain ASA section reception. (Each section like Env and Tech or collective behaviors & soc movt have their own receptions.) I also just approached people after their presentations or roundtables and told them I was interested in their them or their program. ASA is very intimidating, but many of the people I met were such sweethearts. I did have some experiences with some jerks, but the majority were really friendly and nice.

Make sure you are able to talk about your research and if possible have a bounded copy of it to show people. Just be friendly and smile and just genuinely approach people.

I will PM you some more specifics.

I just got my email too about a week ago (after I had convinced myself I hadn't gotten in!). I'm excited, but also a little nervous because this is my first "large" conference where I won't be going with other members of my school. I'm hoping to get to know some of the other participants through this forum and elsewhere to help bridge that gap and make everything less intimidating. Thanks for starting this discussion!

Edited by Rlennons

• 3 months later...

Hey, I know this forum is a few months old, but I am going to be in the honors program too and would love touch base with you all ahead of time. I'm super excited and looking forward to presenting and networking at ASA!