GRE timing/5yr limit

Hi,

I have a GRE score that is 5yrs old on Nov.5. Most program app. deadlines are after this date. If I apply and request my score transmission BEFORE Nov 5 (say September), will schools accept my scores? In other words, what determines the 5yr mark... the date they receive my application, or the application deadline?

Thx!

I believe it's ETS that will not send your scores after 5 years. My GRE scores were 5+ years for my PhD, but they were on file from a previous MS application at the university, so they accepted those without me resending. But ETS wouldn't have sent them if I needed them. In short, start your application as early as possible, and have your scores sent ASAP as well. You should be fine. I even had one school tell me that as long as they saw my scores on my transcript, they didn't need official reporting from ETS.

I had a similar situation as you this year when i was applying. Mine was expiring by the end of Oct 2011. So I sent the scores in by October when my score was still in ETS system, even though I hadn't completed my application at that time.

But to be safe, I took the GRE again as well-just in casea and use their free quota to send in the new score.

Turns out, all schools received my old score just fine, and I didn't really "have to" retake the test. They all seem treated my old score still valid, even though for some schools in their website, they said they wouldn't make this leaway for you, and that your score has to valid till at least the deadline.

Oh well, it is your call whether you want to risk it or not. Since I had the same concern as you did, can't help replying your thread.

Good luck! :D

I would check with the school admissions office, because while a lot will take self-reported scores for the application they want you to verify those scores upon acceptance--which you can't past the 5 year limit with ETS. Also, I would think that schools might be hesitant because those scores aren't a good gauge of your current ability (as measured by multiple choice, anyways) but rather are a gauge of your ability 5 years ago.

I would check with the school admissions office, because while a lot will take self-reported scores for the application they want you to verify those scores upon acceptance--which you can't past the 5 year limit with ETS. Also, I would think that schools might be hesitant because those scores aren't a good gauge of your current ability (as measured by multiple choice, anyways) but rather are a gauge of your ability 5 years ago.

Good point. OP, have you been in grad school at all since you took the GRE? In my case, I have two master's degrees in between, so that might have helped them overlook the age of the GRE also...your best bet is to call the director of your program or the admissions director at the school just to see what they say.