UC Berkeley vs Duke? (PhD in Anthropology)

I'm an international student, who has got offers from both UC Berkeley and Duke University. PhD in Sociocultural Antrhopology. I have kept thinking about the two options for quite a long time, but have not come up with a definite decision.

UC Berkeley has a better reputation in the anthropology program, but the funding is not so favorable. I've to TA for about 2-3 years (20 hours each week) to get a stipend, apart from the fellowship I am entitled to.

Duke has a more friendly and supportive community, and they offer a fiver-year consecutive fellowship. But I don't like the city of Durham, which seems to be so boring.

Which one would you choose?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Edited by reporterinvietnam

Hello reporterinvietnam,

I went to UC Berkeley as an undergrad therefore I am slightly biased. Although I would say go to Berkeley off top, I think you need to consider where would better fit your research interests and which professors you would have access to. I have several friends that TA at the PhD level and have heard no complaints as far as work load, but I guess it depends on the person. You are going to be there for several years so you need to ultimately be happy with your department and the location. If you are thinking in terms of cities I would say Berkeley is a winner hands down with a lot to do in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Durham is not boring (ok, compared to being near San Fran, nearly ANYTHING will seem boring...haha), and Duke is a great school. I would take the money and go to Duke. Do you really want to be working 20 hours a week if you don't need to be?

I guess it depends on just how much better Berkeley is. Please, do you have any other information?

Durham is not boring (ok, compared to being near San Fran, nearly ANYTHING will seem boring...haha), and Duke is a great school. I would take the money and go to Duke. Do you really want to be working 20 hours a week if you don't need to be?

I guess it depends on just how much better Berkeley is. Please, do you have any other information?

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that funding is an important issue that should be seriously considered.

The primary adviser assigned to me at UC Berkeley is a renowned leading scholar in the academia, but she is acclaimed to be difficult to work with. At Berkeley, grad students are supposed to work independently and get limited support from teachers. Berkeley ranks among the three best anthropology departments in the States (the other two are Chicago and Michigan).

Duke is not the NO. 1 place in terms of anthropology research, but they have employed two great professors from Harvard to promote their development. The professors and grad students are very friendly and helpful, fostering a sense of community. On the other hand, Duke is actively cooperating with Asia, where I come from.

Hello reporterinvietnam,

I went to UC Berkeley as an undergrad therefore I am slightly biased. Although I would say go to Berkeley off top, I think you need to consider where would better fit your research interests and which professors you would have access to. I have several friends that TA at the PhD level and have heard no complaints as far as work load, but I guess it depends on the person. You are going to be there for several years so you need to ultimately be happy with your department and the location. If you are thinking in terms of cities I would say Berkeley is a winner hands down with a lot to do in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Berkeley! Some of the PhD students told me that TA takes up to 50% of their time, but it is also beneficial if one hopes to be a teacher in the future.

@reporterinvietnam

I would choose UC Berkeley because the Bay Area is a nice place to be living in. I have lived here for my whole life and the weather here is very pleasant. Unfortunately, I will have to leave the Bay Area for my own graduate school so you will like it here. Are you sure you do not have to TA at Duke because usually in the first year, you do not have to TA. But during your second year and so on, you may have to TA as part of your assistantship, which is what UC Riverside is offering me. Are you from Vietnam by the way because I a VietAmerican also.

Reiterating what you've already heard, by most accounts it seems like teaching experience is really important if you're looking to eventually get hired in academia. Also, most of the Cal students that I spoke with said they actually really enjoyed teaching.

@reporterinvietnam

I would choose UC Berkeley because the Bay Area is a nice place to be living in. I have lived here for my whole life and the weather here is very pleasant. Unfortunately, I will have to leave the Bay Area for my own graduate school so you will like it here. Are you sure you do not have to TA at Duke because usually in the first year, you do not have to TA. But during your second year and so on, you may have to TA as part of your assistantship, which is what UC Riverside is offering me. Are you from Vietnam by the way because I a VietAmerican also.

Thank you for this, and congrats on the offer of UC Riverside. Yeah, I've to TA at Duke, but with a lighter workload. I am not from Vietnam, but I wish to go there for a visit, where I do have some friends:)

Hey reporterinvietnam,

Which did you decide? I also had the privilege and blessing to struggle over two really great programs, but I would've been a part of your incoming cohort in the CulAnth program at Duke :) Best of luck with your decision!