Cornell - Ithaca

mbol

Hi guys,

I got admission from Cornell and I'm waitlisted in Columbia. Even though I like Cornell more than Columbia in academic terms (I'm interested in soc. strat) I'm still waiting for the Columbia's answer to make my decision.

My corcern about Cornell is about living at Ithaca. Did anyone visit there? Could someone share his/her impressions about it?

Thanks!

I hear it's gorges in Ithaca B)

My boyfriend grew up in Ithaca and HATES those bumper stickers!

I have visited a few times, and the city has more than I thought it would. There are almost all of the chain stores there (Walmart, Target, Petsmart, ect.) and there are a lot of nice smaller stores downtown in The Commons. It is very hilly, so if you wanted to ride a bike everywhere, you had better be in shape. There seem to be enough good restaurants, even in walking distance of campus. Real estate is quite pricey for a small town, so keep that in mind in terms of cost of living/stipends.

Hi guys,

I got admission from Cornell and I'm waitlisted in Columbia. Even though I like Cornell more than Columbia in academic terms (I'm interested in soc. strat) I'm still waiting for the Columbia's answer to make my decision.

My corcern about Cornell is about living at Ithaca. Did anyone visit there? Could someone share his/her impressions about it?

Thanks!

I go to Cornell and live in Ithaca. Ask away.

Thank you for the answers!

Hey tt503, I've got some questions:

- I would move together with my wife and she wants to work during the first year there. would you say that there are good chances of getting a job in Ithaca? (My wife is sociologist too)

- She also wants to study a MPP next year, but we think that it might be difficult to be accepted by applying just to one school (Cornell). So, we wonder if going to Syracuse or Rochester really is an alternative.

She might be able to get a job at Cornell, though unlikely in an academic position. I have friends whose spouses worked in libraries, which isn't too terrible. Check this site: https://www.hr.cornell.edu/jobs/positions.html One thing from experience is that you should apply to all the jobs you remotely qualify for. I was looking for jobs before I got a TAship and was rejected from most of them, even though I had way more experience than what was necessary (e.g. 5 years of administrative assistant experience for an entry-level job). If you plan on moving to Ithaca in the summer, now is the time to apply for jobs.

Depending on the situation, Syracuse wouldn't be a bad choice (if you didn't have classes every day, or if you could cross-register and take some business classes @Johnson). I'd probably speak to someone at the business school and see what cross-registration options there are, and then apply to the schools on that list. Otherwise, it's over an hour one-way. Rochester is even farther away, and I really wouldn't recommend that.