Renege an offer before April 15th--Bad Outcome?

GeoPall

I've heard that it is every graduate student's right to renege and offer before or on April 15th if an institution supports the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution, and indeed the official Resolution reads that way as well.

However, I was curious if anyone has reneged on an offer before/on April 15th and suffered any consequences?

Such as not being "released" even though, according to the Resolution, you don't need an official release before/on April 15th.

What is the worst case scenario? They are mad at you, but they can't MAKE you attend right?

Thanks for any advice!

I mean what can they really do to you?! I'm sure if youre polite about it they won't have a problem releasing you. It gives them the opportunity to move someone off the waitlist also. I've heard of people losing a deposit after the 15th deadline, but not much else.

They can't MAKE you attend at any time, ever, even after you started the program. You will lose whatever deposits you may have paid, and if you change your mind after they have paid your stipend, you would have to pay it back. When you accept an offer for admission, you are NOT really signing a contract that says you will attend.

From talking to profs, they say that most schools don't really mind if you change your mind before the 15th, since they can still give the spot to someone else. After the 15th, the sooner you do it, the less people will be annoyed at you / the less chance you could make someone lose a potential spot (very likely).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use