Is it possible to get into a PhD program in I/O without any publications?

enchanted24

It is. But it would be better if you had research and or teaching experience even if you've had no publications. It helps a great deal. In my case I didn't have publications but I had lots of research and teaching experience.

If you have stellar GRE Quant and GPA, and some research experience that demonstrates your ability as a researcher, I'd say you have a good shot at many above avg programs. Poster or honors thesis will be great but publication is something that takes a VERY long time, and you have to be quite lucky to have one if you are applying straight out of UG. I mean, the process takes 2-3 years from start to finish. Yes, you can jump in a project that is near finished and get your name on a pub, but like I said, you have to be lucky and professors knows this.

If you're coming straight out of undergrad, you won't be expected to have any publications (though those who do are in a pretty position), though some sort of research experience is usually a requirement for decent programs. I know that everyone out of my graduating class who went on to grad had at least 2 presentations, though no publications. If you have neither, play up what you've learned from the research experience you do have and demonstrate that you have the necessary background to carry out research regardless. Great GPA and GRE scores also wouldn't hurt :)

If you are coming from undergrad, I'd also recommend applying to a few Masters programs as well, especially if the only thing holding back your record is a lack of presentations/publications. By the time you reapply to PhD you'd have gained what you need. Good luck!