Bard Graduate Center

jpngrl

Hello All!

I've posted on this forum a couple of times, mostly wavering between MA/PhD, Apply Now/Wait a Year...

So I've finally decided that a smaller school with a more specialized MA program would be for me! I graduated last year with my B.A., (3.8 GPA) having written on Japanese design and doing a research project at the Vanderbilt Estate (a little diverse, I know...) I was very lucky to have been an intern at the Museum of Arts and Design this past winter, where I did curatorial work and blogged for their website. I am also at the tail-end of an internship (paid!) at a top-three auction house in the Japanese department. While I love Japanese art, I am more interested in material culture, particularly issues of exchange and connoisseurship between Japan and America. I REALLY like BGC's program, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had attended, is attending, or had done some thinking about it. Any suggestions or comments? I'm sure this is a common feeling, but as soon as I decided on the school as my top pick, I was overcome with nerves and anxiety! I would also LOVE LOVE LOVE some advice on how to structure my SOP. As a school that doesn't do much with Japanese Art, I don't want them to think I'm not suited to their program, since I am very passionate about their interdisciplinary education and feel it would lead me in the right direction. Also, should I submit a chapter from my senior thesis on Japanese design, or stick with my research paper from the Vanderbilt mansion? I feel a little weird about this one, since I would be essentially mis-directing them as to my previous area of academic focus. How should I proceed??

Edited by Ukiyo91

Hi! I applied to/visited/very strongly considered the BGC this application cycle, and though I was admitted, I accepted an offer from another school. I was drawn to the BGC because of their focus on interdisciplinarity and thinking about material culture as well, although I'm Italian Renaissance. I don't want to get too in-depth here, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about the process!