Still haven't heard back... is it wrong to just show up on campus and ask?

Pepper_the_rat

I'm still waiting on one school (USC Marine Bio), and they have told me that they will only notify me of a decision by postal service. I have not been able to get in touch with a real person for months, except for the POI. He told me last month that it had gone to admissions and couldn't give much more info at that point, so I haven't emailed him since. I have other decisions I have to make right now, and I have no idea when this letter will show up in my mail box.

Here's the issue: my mail box is 500 miles away, but I am currently near USC, and will be until April 15. Because I have other decisions to make, I'd really like to know either way what is going on. ANY information from a real human would be an improvement. Would it be really bad to show up in the department office and ask about my admissions decision? I suspect I'm rejected but I just want a confirmation.

Did you call the DGS?

This is the problem. The university admissions department won't give any information, but I have not been able to contact a real person in my target department for months. They don't answer their phones or email. I was corresponding with a few professors (on in particular) but he said in February that it was up to admissions at that point. I just want to get some feedback. I can't get past voicemail. I couldn't even before turning in my app.

Is this school the best academic choice for you? If not, the poor communication seems like it would be a deal breaker for me. Regardless, you shouldn't respond to rudeness with rudeness, e.g. an unannounced visit. Unless you are totally invested in the outcome for this school in particular, I would make my decision assuming a rejection.

I have made several decisions assuming a rejection. But I do want to have all the information before I make ALL my decisions just because it's my first choice school. The professor himself was cool, and may end up having a job in his lab.

There was one school that I did end up avoiding because of a messy department, but that was more because of total chaos, not because of rudeness.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use