is it possible to get rejected from the graduate division of a school if you got recommended for admission by the department

frenchdude

This appears to have happened to me. For this school I had gotten a call from their DGS that I was being "recommended for admission" and even attended the open house, but not too long ago I got a rejection from the graduate school saying that my "application for graduate status has not been approved". Some parts of my record are unflattering so I wonder whether their administration didn't like me. I can deal with it, though. I've gotten concrete acceptance letters from some other places, so I think those admissions are official and safe, but I can't help but worry.

Sorry to hear that, but fear not, once you get an official acceptance letter from the graduate school (one that was actually intended for you and not someone else), I think you are good to go. 

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I got into Columbia and Vanderbilt, so I'm over it :)

Woohoo, glad to hear that your story had a happy ending with some amazing acceptances! :) I'll be at Columbia so maybe I'll see you around. 

Side note: it took over 3 weeks for my Columbia GSAS decision to arrive after my departmental admission (during which I found this thread and was stressing that maybe they'd made a horrible mistake...), but it did finally come. 

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use