have i (can i) rid myself of the stigma of a low undergrad GPA?

mr_merriweather

Is a 3.0 undergrad GPA (from a top 10 liberal arts college) completely fatal for admissions to a top sociology program? I graduated in the top quarter of my class from a top 5 law school. I've published two law review articles, both of which relate to the research agenda I hope to pursue as a PhD student. My undergraduate thesis was based on ethnographic research, and I have a job that puts me in touch with the organizations/people relevant to my research (vague I know but I'm trying to keep anonymity). I scored above 95th percentile on both the LSAT and SAT, so I'll probably do well on the GRE. My recommendations will be great, but would come from law school profs without sociology degrees.

My goal is to enter legal academia, but I'd also be happy with a job in a sociology department. I might have a shot at a law school job right now, but I'd really like to have the more rigorous methodological training that a PhD provides.

I did take some graduate level sociology courses in law school and did well--I'm guessing I should probably get in touch with those profs and see what they think? But before I do, I want to make sure this isn't a crazy ambition. As much as I resent having my poor decisions as a 20 year old still matter at this point, I know it could be a concern for admissions committees.

I wouldn't worry about the GPA, but would certainly get a letter from a sociologist if you could. I don't know where you went to law school, but most of the law schools historically in the top 10 are at schools with strong sociology programs. I think that a letter appraising your sociological potential from someone notable in the field would help your application tremendously.

Yes, strong law schools = strong soc programs, except for the top school: Yale, good program but below what you would expect. To the OP: your file looks original and quite strong. Do not worry about the GPA, maybe adress it in your SOP, but it will be ok

Edited by Karlito

Getting into a top 5 law school is no mean feat, and to have done so despite a 3.0 undergraduate GPA says a lot about your other strengths (for one thing, as you note, all 3.0 undergraduate GPA's are not created equal). Cover all of the usual bases in your application, and my guess is that you'll be viewed as a very strong candidate. Be sure to have some detailed conversations with your mentors about where it is you want to be heading. For an applicant with a more lengthy and non-tradittional academic trajectory, it's important for your letter writers to understand your career path and why it is that a PhD in sociology is your perfect next step.

I think success in prior graduate degrees and/are professional experience is viewed very highly in sociology PhD admissions. I have a similar trajectory (prior graduate degree and already established in a career in a non-sociology field), and was quite successful in the admissions process.