Jump to content

Canadian in the U.S. frequently returning home - Visa procedures?

Recommended Posts


Please bear with me.

I am considering an offer in NJ. If I accept, my partner and I plan to be long distance for 1-2 years and either I return to Toronto once I'm ABD or we get married (hopefully allowing him to receive a work permit on a J2 visa) and we both move to New York.

I've been reading the FAQ sections of the Rutgers Center for International Faculty and Student Services, but I haven't been able to figure out how often or what procedures are required for a Canadian student on a J1 (or F1) visa who wishes to travel home during her studies for (1) short periods (~4-5 days) every 1-2 months; (2) for longer periods (3-4 months during the summer if it is possible for me to be away).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who re-enter the US on a semi-regular basis with their visa, I'd just like to know how difficult it is.

As far as I know, based on what I've read I will need to get a signature from the international student services at Rutgers in advance of my departure from the US. I also read that it's recommended you travel with all kinds of proof of your funding and enrollment to show upon re-entry to get a new I-94 (this is where I think I'm wrong if it's for a short trip).

Edited by ltam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you have to be careful with general faqs, as most of these do not apply to canadians. you people can apply for F1 on the border and stuff -- I am sure rules would work differently))

for instance, for anybody from overseas, visiting canada from US works differently from flying overseas -- for instance, if I am taking a short trip to canada, I do not get a new I-94, and will be readmitted for the duration of the original one. or mexico for that matter.

I think.

i have no idea whether the same would be true for actual canadians going back to canada for a short trip, but it'd be silly if rules as applying to them were somehow more restrictive ))

which being said, you may still need a travel signature, but as far as I can figure they are actually valid for a period of time -- like 6 months or something, so it is not like you need to get one every week ))

Edited by Olga Childs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.