MSCS: Wisconsin-Madison vs. UCLA

NVP12345

14 members have voted

1. 1. Wisconsin-Madison or UCLA?

• Wisconsin-Madison
    • UCLA

Help! It's down to the wire and I have no idea which would be better.

Here are some factors:

For UCLA: I got to visit UCLA and I really liked that they require a thesis or project and that professors work closely with MS students as well as their PhD's. Also required pass/fail seminar in current topics in CS so I can keep up to date on advancements in industry. Weather is WAY better :) Could drive up to Silicon Valley for a weekend if necessary to interview. More jobs in LA than Madison, and Google Santa Monica is walking distance from campus.

For Wisconsin: Entirely coursework-based, which is good if I want to have a set plan to graduation. No guaranteed opportunity for thesis/project without finding a professor to work with on my own. Ranked slightly higher than UCLA, and admission is way more selective (~8% vs 25%). Virtually everyone (>90%) accepted attends as opposed to ~50% for UCLA (I'm guessing a lot of those students apply/get accepted to Berkeley, CMU, Stanford etc.), but most students have guaranteed funding which I do not. Possibility to apply for TA- or RA-ship but no guarantees. Closer to home in Connecticut, but farther from many jobs.

Anyone who knows more about these two schools, feel free to enlighten me! I have 3 days to decide!

I guess my call would depend on what area of computer science you are interested in. But by a hair, I'm going to go with UWisc. Both are respected computer science schools, so whichever you picked will probably work out great for you.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use