A Bird in the Hand v. Two in the Bush

O1O11OOO1O1

13 members have voted

1. 1. Bird in Hand v. Two in Bush?

• Accept Program B by April 15th
    • Decline Program B and wait for C or D

I was accepted to three programs and waitlisted at another. Programs A,B, and C are MA programs. Program D is a PhD program.

Program A was unable to provide any funding, so I turned down their offer. Of the two remaining programs, Program B guarantees funding, but it's relatively little. Program C has offered me a fairly generous research assistantship for the first quarter. Program C will not be able to offer me an assistantship for the Winter or Spring terms; however, I have submitted applications for teaching assistantships for the Winter and Spring terms in an affiliated department. Program D, my top choice, is a PhD program offering five years of very generous funding (Just to be clear with my preferences: D>C>B).

This first part of my dilemma emerged when I was told that I was waitlisted for Program D and that those who were offered admission had until May 1st to respond. Programs B & C asked for a decision by April 15th. I contacted the graduate coordinator of Programs B & C asking for extensions. Program B was unable to give me an extension to my decision deadline, but Program C was. With Program C, I have until late May to give my decision now.

I contacted graduate coordinator of Program D and asked a few questions about my prospects of moving from the waitlist. He indicated that my prospects of being admitted from the waitlist are very good. Roughly ten applicants were selected for either admission or waitlist. The program admits as many as they can afford to fully fund for all five years. The remainder (usually 2-3) are waitlisted. The graduate coordinator explained that the waitlist has been fully exhausted almost every year.

I'm left deciding whether or not I should accept Program B by Sunday, or risking the expense of two quarters at Program C if both ofthe following happen: a) I am not admitted to Program D off of the waitlist and B) my applications for teaching assistantships during the Winter and Spring terms are rejected.

Any advice?

Edited by O1O11OOO1O1

Do you know how likely it is that you would get the TAship at Program C? Will it be a huge financial strain on you if you weren't able to get the TAship? Personally, I would reject B because I would kick myself if I accepted B, but then got into D. Plus you say you prefer Program C to B anyway. That's just me though. Definitely a tough choice...good luck!

My chances are fair. I have prior experience as a TA from my last semester of undergrad and strong recommendations. My GRE scores in verbal and quant. are stong, but my AW was somewhat weak.

I'm definitely leaning towards declining B. It would be a tremendous financial strain. Tuition, books, food, and rent for two quarters would likely cost me 20,000 in student loans. I would supplement this by working, if possible, but the economic climate of City C is iffy.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I'd definitely say that since you have the option of accepting C, and since you seem to rank these schools D-C-B -A, you should hold out and decline B. You can always try and find a tuition-remission on-campus position besides a TA-ship if they're available--I worked in the dining hall in college, and my supervisor was an M.A. student who got his tuition waived by working 20 hours a week. Not the most glamorous position, but it paid the bills :)

Normally I am a risk averse person, but if the coordinator says they have exhausted the wait list every year and you have until late May to decide on your second-choice program…then I would decline B, and wait for D.

$20,000 is actually a very small amount of loans for an MA program. I would take that risk.

I also agree with Oregon Gal. I also am working an extra job for the university that provides free housing, for example. Of course there is no guarantee of funding, but I feel like chances can be good.