Rice

arsenalmath

I am starting at Rice in the fall in the Computational and Applied Mathematics PhD program. Is anyone else going to Rice? I've never lived anywhere outside of Virginia and want to learn more about Houston. Also, if anyone is potentially looking for a roommate, let me know!

• 1 month later...

I'm starting Rice's English PhD program in August. I'm from New England, but have visited friends in Houston several times. It's a fun city. The Montrose area is great for coffee shops and bars; that area and the Museum District have some good housing options if you have transportation. The neighborhoods near Rice are pretty great, too. I found a garage apartment about a quarter mile from campus (I'm not bringing a car). Public transportation in the city is kind of terrible, but it is manageable..and a bicycle helps a lot. The campus is beautiful. If you're looking for a roommate, I'd try the housing board on Rice's website.

I lived in Houston for 5 years. It is NOT a city that you can live in without a car. I've tried it for about a year, and it almost destroyed my social life. Getting anywhere was taking over an hour. Biking is out, because it gets really hot 9 months out of the year. I finally broke down and bought a small toyota for $3000. It lasted 4 years, up until the move. :)

If I were to attend grad school there, I would definitely rent in the Montrose/museum district. :) I worked at the contemporary museum there and took classes at the Glasses school of Art. It was awesome.

Good luck! I loved living there.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be starting in the Earth Science department this fall.

Can anyone currently at Rice offer an opinion on whether it's a good idea to live in the graduate housing - and if not, where to look for an apartment in the area?

I'll be starting in the Earth Science department this fall.

Can anyone currently at Rice offer an opinion on whether it's a good idea to live in the graduate housing - and if not, where to look for an apartment in the area?

If you are not familiar with Houston I think the graduate apartments would be a great choice for your first year.  I think there are two locations, one near Rice Village and the other a block north of campus.  The one near Rice Village may be closer to activities off of campus in the village area if that appeals to you.

You will seldom need a car since there is a shuttle bus or you can walk to campus in just a few minutes.  At least for one of the locations they even have a cool "furniture closet" that is run by a handful of some of the professor's spouses whereby you can pay like $25 a few days before classes start and you can "check out" a piece of furniture or two and kitchen supplies or about whatever you might need for your place.   This is designed to help the international students who may not have transportation but it can be useful for any other graduate students as well.   On Saturday's they run the bus to the nearby shopping strip locations (Super Target, food stores, etc.)

The location I have visited has gated parking and seems very secure.  You cannot get in the front door or onto the grounds without an entry device.  The units themselves are pretty basic, all white walls and nothing fancy but clean and roomy with large closet space and views to the nice inner courtyards. 

Edited by Jbenrod

• 1 month later...

I'll be at Rice this Fall!  I'm in the BioE PhD program. I applied for the graduate housing, but havent heard back yet.... has anyone got any news on that?

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Is there anyone going to Rice for fall 2014?
I will be pursuing a PhD program in chemical engineering. I also would like to know about university graduate housing. If anyone has lived there please share your experiences.