top ranked MS/low ranked PhD

AThiker

So I received a funded (TA first year) PhD offer from Lehigh University for physics and a funded M.Sc. offer from University of British Columbia for physics/astronomy. If I went to UBC I'd be working at TRIUMF my second year doing my master's thesis.

The April 15th deadline put me in a dilemma as I had not received exact details of the funding from UBC and I was not able to get campus housing. I did not want to run the risk of having no place to stay in Vancouver off campus, which could happen considering I have very little money of my own and I'm sure the funding is not enough to get a place for myself.

I had told Lehigh on 4/12 that I'd be going to UBC, and so they made another offer to a student in my field of interest. On the 15th however, I certainly panicked at the thought of finding no place to live in Vancouver and not being able to attend. I had this idea that I was being naive thinking I could find living accomodations in the city as a no credit history American, and my anxieties certainly got the best of me. So I emailed the chair of adm. at Lehigh and asked if a spot was still available, he said there was, and I accepted.

I guess I should have asked for an extension instead (never thought about it at the time, Doh!). But now comes along this offer for a bedroom in Vancouver (no apt., just a room) that is quite inexpensive (like 60/70% the cost of most places in the city).

I'm sort of kicking myself in the butt now. So I know it's after April 15th, but not far after. Do you think it's a good idea to back out if I do it ASAP? I'm not even sure if I do, because the funding is better at Lehigh and will allow me to actually have some money after Ph.D. But working at TRIUMF and attending UBC would be so cool! Any thoughts?

From the school's point of view, they'd probably be best off if you didn't go where you didn't want to go. But I just don't think that jumping ship at this point would be very professional. After all, the chair did offer you a place despite your original rejection. I don't know anything about physics, so I don't know what you mean by "cool" (in your second last sentence). Would the opportunity be so life changing that you'd stake your reputation on it?

Edited by QxV

well it's not exactly true that he offered me the spot back. apparently according to that cgs resolution the offer was still mine to decide on either way.

well the group I would have been working in has access to isotopes no other lab in the world does; that's more specifically what i mean by cool.

i hear you on the unprofessional thing though.

i genuinely do like lehigh and what they have to offer. it was a financial consideration that changed the circumstances at this point, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to play by the rules on this one

well it's not exactly true that he offered me the spot back. apparently according to that cgs resolution the offer was still mine to decide on either way.

well the group I would have been working in has access to isotopes no other lab in the world does; that's more specifically what i mean by cool.

i hear you on the unprofessional thing though.

i genuinely do like lehigh and what they have to offer. it was a financial consideration that changed the circumstances at this point, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to play by the rules on this one

That does sound cool! I'm a firm believer that you grow to love whatever you work on the most (although some things may take longer than others=p), so I'm sure you'll be fine either way!!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use