Top MBA with low GMAT?

mastermind

Hi,

I'm thinking about applying to the top 20-30 MBA programs in the US, and I'm wondering what is the needed GMAT score.

I know each school published its class profiles and sometimes you can see the GMAT range of admitted students starts really low (even in the 550 area). However, I know I need a high score unless my GPA is amazing (and it's not...).

I saw in Aringo.com website that someone got into HBS with 580, and they also have this video explaining how to overcome a low GMAT score when applying to top MBA: http://www.aringo.com/low_gmat.htm

What do you guys think?

Well I had a rather low GMAT score but my scholastic career proves that I am very much capable. One thing that graduate schools forget to realize is that the statistics that are used to determine the probability of succession based on GMAT scores do not work for every individual. Many universities have lost great potential students because they relied on GMAT scores too heavily. But, to answer your question, in order to overcome a low GMAT score when applying to an MBA program, you must highly excel in every other aspect of the application packet. Most graduate schools require an essay or statement of purpose. This is your time to shine and prove to the admission committee that you are fully capable to excel in a graduate program. I applied to 3 business schools and neither had a set minimum. They use every aspect of the application packet to determine whether a student is capable of excelling in a graduate program. Between 400-600 is the range that most people make. Each individual school has their own requirements. Some require a minimum score, and others don't.

Good luck...

Edited by chantanna06

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can tell you one school (in Mississippi) that uses a formula to determine admission. William Carey University is a fully accredited private college that doesn't require a minimum GPA or GMAT score in order to get accepted into their MBA program. The formula they use is below:

(GPA x 200) + GMAT Score + (10 x Years of Managerial Experience)

Scores of 850-999 are accepted (with satisfactory application packet material) on probationary status. You must achieve a B or higher on the first six hours in order to gain regular admission status.

Scores of 1000+ are accepted (with satisfactory application packet material) on regular status.

This school use the trimester system, therefore, if you have a bachelors is a business related field, you can finish the program in one year.

There are a few online schools who do not set a minimum, but it's hard to find a reputable one. A great one that I've found is Florida Institute of Technology. It is a fully accredited brick-and-mortar college that have some fully online degree programs. Tuition is rather expensive ($2,000+ per class).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking about applying to the top 20-30 MBA programs in the US, and I'm wondering what is the needed GMAT score.

I know each school published its class profiles and sometimes you can see the GMAT range of admitted students starts really low (even in the 550 area). However, I know I need a high score unless my GPA is amazing (and it's not...).

I saw in Aringo.com website that someone got into HBS with 580, and they also have this video explaining how to overcome a low GMAT score when applying to top MBA: http://www.aringo.com/low_gmat.htm

What do you guys think?

Unless you have done something seriously exceptional in your career so far (think set up a non profit in Africa and provided clean drinking water to thousands, not worked in a consultancy firm for 4 years) then you're going to need a strong GMAT for any of the top 20/30 MBAs - I would aim for above 680 at least, with a stronger emphasis on the quantitative section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Graduate schools don't forget to realize that statistics don't work for every individual; that's why they admit people within a range.  They realize that statistics are averages.  So they accept some students below their average who they think will be promising for other reasons, but they also realize that statistics do have some predictive power.

The thing about low scores is that everybody has a story of a person or two that they know that got admitted somewhere with lower scores.  It does happen, and it is possible.  However, you greatly raise your chances of admission if you get higher scores.  You have to think about the distributions.  For example, HBS's score range is a 550-780, showing that it is indeed possible to get admitted with a score of 550 on the GMAT.  However, their median GMAT score is 730.  That means that the distribution is very much skewed positively - 50% of the people who got admitted got over a 730, and that it is the rare person who got in with a score of less than 600.

Columbia makes it easier; the middle 80% of their admitted class got between a 680 and a 760.  So that means only 20% got less than a 680 on the GMAT.  Probably less than 5% got less than a 600, and only if they did something very exceptional as was pointed out above.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

What do you guys think?

After watching that video, I think the key should be countering the low GMAT (like with high GPA or demonstrating quant skills), and not explaining or making excuses for the low score...