Rejecting a Fulbright Research Grant

nvl5026

I just found out this past week that I was awarded a Fulbright Research Grant to Singapore. I was assuming that I wouldn't be receiving this grant, so I already accepted a job offer at a well-known U.S. company where I will be receiving a competitive salary.

I am leaning toward rejecting the grant for the following reasons:

1) The grant does not cover tuition to the university where I will be researching, so I wouldn't be able to take classes there without paying out-of-pocket.

2) The research is not directly applicable to the area I plan to work in industry.

3) Opportunity cost of a year's salary (over $65k) will be lost.

4) I am genuinely excited about starting my new career in industry, and I'd rather not delay it a year.

5) Accepting the grant will cause my relationship with my boyfriend to be long-distance for 2 years rather than 1 year. (My current job requires a year of training in Dallas, TX, before I can be transferred back to the NE. So, deferring the start date for the Fulbright would extend that period of time.)

Are my first four reasons justification enough to reject a Fulbright, or am I blinded by love? Please help!

The Fulbright award is prestigious. It is also a challenge in this market to land full-time, well-compensated employment, which could lead to professional growth (in the company or not). What I see in your questions is decision between:

approaching the employer with "I am so sorry, I just found out I was awarded for a Fulbright in Singapore. The grant has been a huge dream of mine to obtain, and unfortunately, I will have to withdraw my application at this time. Please do keep me in mind for future opportunities"

or

connecting with your Fulbright contact, apologize, "unfortunately, I will have to decline my research grant, I have accepted employment in the States, which is a perfect fit for me, and it is important to me to keep my word and my commitment"

...what it seems like what you are leaning towards.

That said, would this employer allow you to do the Fulbright grant and come back to start the position?

Nicely put, AH&M.

Also remember...there's no such thing as being "blinded by love." You are an adult and you deserve to make the decisions you want to choose for yourself. Prestige of the grant, the exciting new job, the personal considerations...these are all good factors to consider. Plenty of high-achieving young adults have difficulty finally allowing themselves to consider their personal lives in their professional decisions. But you're a big girl/boy now, and the considerations of love, job research - it all goes in the pot!

-- Ok, that said, I am currently ignoring my own advice :)

From reasons number 2 and 4 stated, it seems like that you have everything set and found yourself in a great place with a great opportunity.

The Fulbright sounds like a great opportunity as well, but if you are at where you want to be and excited about it. (And also long distance for 2 years is unimaginable from my point of view) It feels like you have a pretty good reason to turn it down.

It sounds like you're coming out ahead in several areas that are important to you, and the only thing that might be holding you back is the prestige of a Fulbright. Yeah, the Fulbright is great, but you sound like you have a nice situation set up for yourself already. You also sound like you'd be more happy sticking with your current course of action. Just go with your gut on this one!

Have you asked your employer whether they would accept to defer the start of your new job by a year? In my view, the opportunity cost is minimal, especially when you consider that being a Fulbright scholar could help you in your future career in any number of ways. If the job will still be there when you're done, then I see no reason not to take the Fulbright.

No advice on the 'personal' side of the problem. I think that's something you and your boyfriend need to figure out for yourselves.

You don't sound at all excited about the Fulbright. If it isn't the opportunity of your dreams, don't do it (and by opportunity, I mean the chance to spend a year in Singapore, NOT the opportunity to "do a Fulbright"). A year is too long to spend on a resume builder.