Regret Decision -- Too late to change mind?

colbertnation

hello all,

So I was stuck with choosing between two schools. One was in my home city, the other was out of town. I decided to play it "safe" and stay in my home city and not burden myself with incurring debt, moving across the country, etc etc.

Now I regret the decision and I'm wondering if you think it would be too late to change my mind. I feel like I just played it "safe" but ultimately this was not the best choice for me. It's almost two weeks since the April 15th deadline. Would I be able to contact the school I already declined telling them I was stressed beyond belief and after further reflection I whole heartedly want to attend their program, and want to see if the spot and offer would still be available?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also realize that I've accepted another offer and according to APA guidelines I'd have to get written release from the institution. At this point, if I can get my other spot back, I'm not too concerned with this or severing ties with this school.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't. It doesn't reflect well on you, even if you have a good reason (e.g., something another school did to throw you off), which it doesn't seem like you do. That said, there are people who will advise you to "follow your heart", or something like that, and you're welcome to listen to them!

If it is really what you want to contact the rejected school ASAP. If they ok it (which happens) you can ask for a release from the other school. I met people who did it (closer to the deadline but still) and lived to tell the tale. It is not an ideal situation of course but it happens.

Edited by kalapocska