Applying for NDSEG and DOE CSGF next yr after receiving NSF GRFP.

Jema

This might be an odd question to ask. I was a recipient of NSF GRFP in 2011. I did not apply for NDSEG ( I wasn't a US citizen then ) and DOE CSGF ( didn't know about it ) that year. I've put my NSF GRFP tenure on reserve ( haven't used a cent of my fellowship money ) and I'm doing my Masters ( have an NSF GK-12 fellowship ) in the same college where I did my undergrad. I was thinking of applying for both NDSEG and DOE CSGF this year. I think they are better fellowships coz the stipend is higher plus they cover the entire tuition fee unlike GRFP where the college has to shell extra money to cover tuition as NSF only provides partial coverage of the fee.

My question is that , will my application for these two fellowships, having already won the GRFP , be affected ( both positively and negatively ) in any way ? Btw I wii opt out of GRFP if I win any one of those two.

I don't know if anyone has been in this kind of situation before. Any help is welcome !

I am in some way having a similar question. I am a recipient of 2012 NDSEG and will start my PhD in fall 2012. Can I apply for NSF GRFP beginning of my second year while on NDSEG fellowship? I plan to if receiving NSF GRFP, I will stop NDSEG and switch to NSF GRFP. What do you think?

This way I will have five years of fellowship :)

I dont know how your case would work out given that you'd be using the NDSEG fellowship money for the first two years. My understanding is that NDSEG doesn't have an option to differ the fellowship unlike NSF GRFP !!

Well, at the end of year 2 of NDSEG I will just cancel, not defer, the fellowship given that I get the NSF. I am kinda lazy too, my future grad school actually offers me an additional fellowship for my fourth year (equal the amount of NDSEG). On the other hand, it's kinda nice to also win the NSF GRFP ^_^

I guess you can do that.. Just cancel after 2 years... but should we mention that we already have a federal fellowship when we apply for the other one ?? I wonder why no one has ever tried doing so.... !! Winning 2 fellowships would be an awesome achievement.. !

So it is a possible plan. You can't apply for DOE CSGF if you are on another major fellowship. But the trick works for NSF GRFP and NDSEG, that is to apply on your second year and if you are awarded, then cancel your current fellowship and will have your new fellowship for the next three years ^_^. I hope both NDSEG and NSF do not read this :)