RA position - how to ask about funding

browser88

I have been accepted to a masters program with no funding (as expected). I have now secured free accommodation (by working in dorms) and I have emailed a few professors about the possibility of a research assistant position. My best case scenario, and what I am looking for, is obviously someone to give me a funded research assistant position in their lab and ideally have it finalized before I arrive at the University (perhaps with a Skype interview as I am an international student).

My emails to the profs have always ended '...was wondering if you had any research assistant positions for Fall 2012'. I have had a few 'no positions available' emails and two simply said 'come see me when you arrive at University X' (which I have taken as a 'maybe if I have anything going').

Now one replied saying I have a different background to most people in the lab but some projects may fit me well and then asked for information about my career goals and what I wanted to get back from my time at the lab. I sent back this information and got a reply saying 'thanks for the info. Please come to my office when you arrive. I'd like to discuss some potential projects in my lab'

So what I want to know is does this mean I will get a position, or will it be an interview, or will it just be a chat about ongoing projects. Also, will it be unfunded, funded, what salary? I realize I just need to ask the Prof. but I am not too sure how to phrase it? I thought of perhaps using my visa requirements as an excuse but any help would be appreciated...