Help deciding next step when considering IR and PP

I'm considering both Master's programs in International Relations and Public Policy and I'm trying to identify research assistant positions that would keep me competitive for both tracks. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

After graduating I spent a year in Indonesia on a Fulbright and now I am working with an educational non-profit in Somalia as well as volunteering with a human rights organization. My contract here ends in July and I want to live in the US next year. I have found both public/social policy positions and international relations positions to fill in the gap between Somalia and graduate school, but as I am considering these two different fields I'm hoping to identify positions that would be relevant to both. Or would either kind of position be relevent to either MA?

Thank you in advance.

I don't think it matters in the least. The distinction between international relations and public policy is more an imposed one by the academic world. It is not very rigid or tangible. Yes, doing more theoretical IR work (such as with a think tank) versus more policy and programming work may develop slightly different skill sets, but I think this only impacts your competitiveness and profile for future jobs, not for graduate schools.

Apply for all jobs that you are interested in and that will give you substantive experience in your field. Grad schools of either type will value your profile.