Planning to reapply?

Lemasal

So I applied for my MA in journalism and my top school (Ryerson) rejected me. What really confuses me though, is the fact that they refuse to tell me how I can improve on my application. It makes me wonder if it really is worth it to reapply next year, if my chances of getting in aren't going to increase. I mean, my transcript is pretty much set in stone. So if it's my marks which didn't cut it, then I won't be reapplying. But the unfortunate thing is the school refuses to release such information, and this leaves me wondering, should I go through the stress and trauma of reapplying -and possibly getting rejected- all over again?

Anyone else having this issue? Debating whether or not to even bother again?

Don't get discouraged. I think its very rare to have a graduate school actually say what you can improve on. If you really, really want this MA in Journalism then you should go for it next year. After you have cleared your head, compare your application to the school's requirements. Re-read your statement of interest. Talk to people that have graduated/gotten into the program. I'm sure there is a way to increase your chances. Also, this year try to get more experience in journalism - who knows what people you were competing with this year?

I got rejected from my top (and only) choice too. I feel for you. But we can't give up!

Lemasal,

I have BA in Journalism and MA in Communication. If the program is in Journalism and not Communication, it means that it is likely to be professional vs. academic. Boost your portfolio. Go get yourself an internship and write, write, write. Nobody overlooks a good print journalism portfolio even if you are planning on working in TV/Radio. Your writing skills will translate, and newspapers help you boost your writing skills like nothing else in the field.

Don't take "no" for an answer. What you are offering is free labor. If your top choice newspaper says "no" to you as an intern, write to a few reporters that you like best. Ask if you want to job shadow them. Make contacts. Then write and send things to them asking for advice. It's a tribal profession. People do end up helping each other.

You might end getting more out of this year than you ever dreamed you could. Working in the field will help you better understand what sorts of knowledge/skills you want to come back to school for.

Also, I've been advised to audit a class from one of the professors on the admissions committee, work your butt off, and then ask for a letter of reference. I've never used that, but it seemed to have worked for a lot of people.

Good luck!

I agree with the post above. There are always things you can do to make your application stand out. A great example is getting real-world experience in the field. Alternatively, you could also take non-degree courses to show your potential as they would also be submitted alongside your transcript; it could show improvement and desire (which are important personal traits in a candidate).

And, keep in mind that as long as you meet the minimum requirements, it's hard to know what 'the cut' really is as its assessed year-to-year depending on the types of applicants they get. Programs always want a diverse student body, so find ways to make your application stand out and give it another shot if it's what you really want to do.

Thanks for your advice everyone. :) It's really easy to get discouraged, I never imagened how stressful this process would end up being. And I completely agree, the best thing to do now is improve on my resume with more "on the field" experience and tweak my letter of intent! There's always next year! :D