Test prep services

GradWannabe

Has anyone used test prep services and found that they were worth the cost?

I studied independently before I took the GRE and saw my scores improve quite a bit, but they are still lower than I want, particularly my quantitative score.

I am considering retaking the exam and using a prep course to help me prepare, but am hesitant because of the expense.

Any thoughts on the services that are out there? Personal experiences?

Guest gradstudent

I studied for the verbal and the analytical section the last week before the exam and did quite fine. I am in the sciences/engineering, so the quantitative was not a problem. I doubt the test services would have made me do much better in the test.

You should probaby see what the average score for people in your area is, and what the schools in your area expect to see. The GRE prep software has some stats on that. If you are in an Arts area, then the quantitative score won't matter as much as the rest. If you are in the sciences, it is good to have a high quantitative, and a good analytical score, as the verbal won't matter as much.

The test services cost a lot too, so consider taking them if you need a significant increase in the scores. The GREs are only one part of the application, probably not the most important, hence try to get good recommendations and a strong personal statement too.

I want to get into an MPP program so quantitative matters. I studied for a month before taking the exam, but only scored 630. I have been out of school for over three years and my undergrad majors were a humanity and a social science. The humanity required no mathematics of any kind and the social science only required statistics, which I completed my freshman year. Needless to say, I was very rusty going into the quantitative portion of the GRE! Still, a 630 was an improvement over my early practice tests.

I know the GRE is only one part of the application, but I think it is very important that I make a stronger showing in quantitative ability considering I do not have a quantitative background. I think I need at least a 700.

I have other plans to improve my applications, including working on my personal statement as you suggest as well as investing some time in economics courses. I am not worried about letters of rec (other than asking for them *again*, feel a little weird about it).

I wonder if enrolling in a basic math course at a community college might help me pick up the needed skills to improve on the GRE. It's certainly a lot less expensive! At the same time, the GRE prep courses are much smaller and geared toward the test.