Hello, Qs from new admitted anthro@UWMadison

wangbo

hi, everyone.

I am a master stu in China, and am accepted by socio/cultural anthr PhD program at UWMadison on Feb 18th via email. But they say that the funding might be problematic this year for PhDs. I have an advisor and co-advisor at UWMadison now. Should I ask them for funding or TA positions? Or do I ask for other depts?

Thank you for suggestions!

You wait, is what you do. The email means that they will contact you with financial information, but that it may be later than usual and that your chances of getting funding are lower than usual. I know you want to know right now how it's going to work out. But your advisors can't give you money.

You wait, is what you do. The email means that they will contact you with financial information, but that it may be later than usual and that your chances of getting funding are lower than usual. I know you want to know right now how it's going to work out. But your advisors can't give you money.

I already know that I did not get the university fellowship. I can only rely on TA or RA. My advisor says he does not have money and ask whether I can manage the first year. But I am from an ordinary family in China, who can not afford it..... I am sad. Maybe I need quit...but I do want to go there....

Fellowships are not the only way to get funding. I think if you haven't already, you should explain your financial situation to your adviser, then maybe you can get some advice about other places an international student can look for money. If you haven't already gotten ALL of the financial aid information from your school, though, remember that it's not over yet.

Take a look at the other topics under International House of Grads, and The Bank, for more advice on funding.