How to get into a grad prog with zero experience?

peoni

I am looking to begin a career in cognitive biases in artificial intelligence development and global risk scenarios, however I have absolutely zero experience in the subject (other than devoting most of my free time to reading research articles) .

I have a B.A. in Physics and Political Science from Rutgers. After I graduated, I became an Signals Intelligence Officer in the Marine Corps, which I have been for the past 4 years. I am exiting the Marines this summer and am looking to try to move into academia and research.

First Problem: I am not sure which program is right. Oxford definitely has this focus in its philosophy department. But obviously I need more choices. I imagine that philosophy, information science, or sociology might be appropriate—but recently a professor I contacted said that political science or environmental studies might be more appropriate?

Second Problem: My zero experience. Ideally, I would like to get into a PhD program. But I am willing to apply to a masters prog to get more experience in this field. However, I am not even sure a masters program would accept me since my undergrad majors don’t apply. What do people do in cases like this?

I feel like this would be a lot easier if I was an undergrad still and had an academic advisor to guide me in the process. But that is why I am reaching out to you all!

If anyone can provide any advice or helpful points of contact, I would be extremely grateful. I don’t personally know anyone in the field and am somewhat overwhelmed at the prospect of beginning anew. Thanks!