does this fall under the category of library science?

peoni

I am interested in going to graduate school with a focus on cognitive biases in artificial intelligence and global risk scenarios. Some people have directed me towards library/information science. Would you guys agree this is correct?

I'm assuming the connection with library science is how cognitive bias affects one's research about the mitigation of global risk (like existential risk scenarios).

I have zero background in this field, but I am trying to figure out how to pursue it academically/professionally. So if anyone has any idea if this "is a fit" for an information science program, albeit an unusual one, I'd be really interested to hear your take.

Has anyone heard of anything like this at all in info/library science?

Thanks! Any insight would be greatly welcomed, as I am very new to all of this!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard of artificial intelligence being linked to library and information science and I have certainly not encountered it in my studies at an MLIS program. An MLIS program is going to teach you about using information systems in a setting such as a library, archive, corporation etc. It's going to teach you how to use these systems to intellectually control and organize information such as records, books, files etc., and disseminate it to the public or for the members of whatever organization you are working for. There are research aspects of the field where you may find studies on cognitive biases but it will be placed within a framework that deals with how information professionals organize, acquire and disseminate information or biases connected to how the public uses information systems in information settings. Although, people in the MLIS field are highly technologically oriented, artificial intelligence is not a part of what we do or study. I don't know who gave you that advice but they were severely incorrect and have no knowledge of the library/information science field. If you would like to know more about MLIS curriculum just PM me.