Anyone heard of Tampere University of Technology,Finland?

KodeSeeker

Hello folks,

I'm planning to undertake my masters in computer science engineering for Fall 12. I already have a few admits from the US(RIT, ASU and USC). However I also got this admit from Tampere University of Technology,in Finland. I'm primarily concerned about the cost of my master's degree and the job prospects afterwards, education in Finland is free, but Im not quite sure about the job prospects afterwards/ the repute of the degree, any help in this regard would be appreciated. I hail from India, if that matters.

I have never personally heard of that school and I could safely say that I don't think the average person in the U.S. would know of it. Most the people over here have very limited knowledge of foreign schools so I mean it might be a good school, but just unknown over here.

If you think you want to get a job in the U.S. after your Masters than it would most likely be a better bet to goto a U.S. school, especially one in the state you want to work in. The 3 schools you mentioned are all good, but they are each more well known and respected in their particular regions of the country. Of that list, USC is the most well known and nationally/internationally respected.

I see, thanks for the reply ! :) I was just hoping to see if gradcafe has an international audience that might have some more into the university.

EDIT: Im not really particular about working in the US, as long as Im able to get a job which is what matters ;)

Edited by KodeSeeker

I guess the most important thing you have to figure out, whether or not you can work in Finland or the European Union after you get a degree (Visa process etc.). I am from Europe, and I have to say, I did not hear of that school either. I agree with KodeSeeker, USC is a very fine institution and gives you high class private school education and lots of research opportunity. I guess just a few schools in Europe will be able to compete with USC or be better (Cambridge, Oxford, Polytechnique, ParisTech, TU Munich, Imperial College, UCL). I you want to go to Scandinavia and have good job possibilities I would recommend KTH.