Teachers College MA in Organizational Psychology- Worth it?

Undecided86

Hello,

I've been accepted to a few masters programs in I/O psych for this fall and am contemplating my decision. The program at Teacher's College in Org. Psychology is intriguing, but I'm second guessing whether or not it is really worth the cost. My concern stems from the fact that I wanted to start with a masters, since I'm unsure if I am 100% dedicated to going through with a Phd and would need to strengthen my credentials regardless. The issue is the fact that TC's program seems to be more professionally geared rather than research based, and they admit that only about 5% of students go on to pursue further education. For those who are enrolled or have knowledge of the program, what do you think of it? Is it worth the cost?

Trying to decide between a program like theirs, or more along the lines of Baruch's, which appears to be more research based, has a master's thesis, etc. Additional research experience would be vital to gaining acceptance into a doctoral program. I guess my concern is that I may be worse off if I go to a lesser known school and don't decide to apply to Phds. Any insight is appreciated.

Edited by Undecided86

• 2 weeks later...

If you are 100% sure that you want a PhD after the masters, I would choose Baruch. The training seems more research oriented and it's probably cheaper given it's CUNY. I'm graduating from the TC program and am going on to a PhD, but it's true that most of my friends are not, and most of those never intended to. I found my research experience outside of the program and I don't think it would be easy for you to get the individual attention from faculty. Finally, the Columbia name won't aid you (versus Baruch) in PhD applications, but it would carry weight if you applied to jobs, which is why many of my classmates went. Good luck with your decision!