F1 Visa: Presently working away from 'home country'

Hi everyone,

I have just received my I-20 and am in the process of getting all my details together before I apply for my F1 visa. I have been accepted into a reputable PhD program with full funding.

At the end of last year (after completing my undergraduate studies) I moved from New Zealand (my home country) to Australia for employment. I am now working in Australia and will do so until the middle of August when I will return home before travelling to the USA. Note: As I have a New Zealand Passport, I do not need a work visa to travel and work in Australia.

I am trying to decide whether or not I should travel home to undertake my F1 Visa interview. Do you think this will make a difference? - Especially given the interviewer will probably know that I only travelled home for the interview.

I have extremely strong ties with New Zealand and only moved to Australia as I was given an opportunity to work on research in my area before starting my PhD - something I would have never been able to achieve at home.

I completed all my schooling and undergraduate studies in New Zealand, all my immediate family resides there and owns significant properly,

Any comments will be appreciated!

Edited by Aoedogg

It's usually better to do the interview in your home country. There may be exceptions, but as far as I know US embassies don't really like to issue visas for people who are not from that country. If you're going for a PhD, it's understood that it'll be difficult for you to show strong ties to your home country (after all, you're leaving for 5+ years) and it's not going to be required. Usually, once you're admitted into a good program with funding, that should be enough. They may ask you a question or two about your research, but that's generally it.

Edited by fuzzylogician

My British partner did his visa interview at the American consulate in Ho Chi Minh City when were were living and working in Vietnam. I don't think it will make a big difference whether you do the interview in Australia or New Zealand.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, you are required to process the F1 visa at the consulate of your home country unless you are officially a resident at a different country. At least in the webpage of the US consulate in Madrid it says that if you're not a resident in Spain you have to return to your country to process the visa.

@Aoedogg, you said that since you're a NZ national, you don't need any visa to work in Australia, so I would assume that proving that you're living and working in Australia would be enough to allow you to process the visa in Australia. However, I suggest you call the consulate to make sure that you don't have to return to NZ to do it.