Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hi everyone! First time posting here and just wanted to wish everyone all the best and good luck!

I applied to India for a Fulbright grant for research in the field of theology/religious studies

Hope the wait doesnt hurt too much! haha

The final list heads back to the US government and they give the final approval. If someone drops out or is disqualified, they can bump someone up. I also was told that if more funds are available, I could be promoted. 

Hope that helps.

How are people disqualified for the grant if they are already chosen as a definite yes?

Awesome!!!! Well, we shall soon see how much that predicts and/or influences your final acceptance. My money is on you getting it, especially if your school is experienced with Fulbright apps!

That should be added to the spreadsheet, too, I think, as a new column.

Since I didn't apply At-Large, such as yourself, I hope what you said is true, since I got a campus interview with endorsement from my FPA/school.  :)  lol 

I do wonder if At-Large candidates are at a disadvantage without the support from their FPA or school.  Who will vouch for their communication skills, professional appearance, etc. if no interviews are given at all to At-Large candidates?  I'm baffled.  Anyone know?  I'm new to the Fulbright.

If you are concerned about being at a disadvantage because you didn't get extra help from a knowledgeable, experienced campus adviser to look over your application and written Statements, I want to share with you that my FPA didn't give me any special information to include in my Grant Purpose and Personal Statement that would give me a competitive advantage over other candidates.  He just edited them for grammar and such, which I am grateful for.  Another classmate of mine who applied for the same grant as me, but different country, told me she did NOT receive any help at all from the same FPA.    

Hope that gives you a better idea of the process from my end.              

Edited by Deweyronomy

Since I didn't apply At-Large, such as yourself, I hope what you said is true, since I got a campus interview with endorsement from my FPA/school.  :)  lol 

I do wonder if At-Large candidates are at a disadvantage without the support from their FPA or school.  Who will vouch for their communication skills, professional appearance, etc. if no interviews are given at all to At-Large candidates?  I'm baffled.  Anyone know?  I'm new to the Fulbright, first time applying.

If you are concerned about being at a disadvantage because you didn't get extra help from a knowledgeable, experienced campus adviser to look over your application and written Statements, I want to share with you that my FPA didn't give me any extra or special information to include in my Grant Purpose and Personal Statement that would give me a competitive advantage over other candidates.  He just edited them for grammar and such, which I am grateful for.  Another classmate of mine who applied for the same grant as me, but different country, told me she did NOT receive any help at all from the same FPA.    

Thanks for sharing your experience! 

I got about 12 professors and a few grant writers from my college to read over my Statement of Grant Purpose and my Personal Statement. Most were very helpful, but did not include any specific advice (for example, "this is a very well-written statement, and I really love how you stated the worldwide significance of your project"). The rest were more specific in critically analyzing the importance of my project and how it would appear to people from non-science disciplines. Also, the research professor at my host college gave me his advice on the English and Spanish version before/after the essays were translated. My FPA also added a few things to mention such as my interest in community involvement. He was impressed with my overall application. I'm very thankful for the comments and advice: they were very thoughtful, considering what questions may arise while reading my statements. I am satisfied with the outcome. We will see in 5 day, hopefully :)

I hope we get make it through to Phase 1 :D There are so many factors to be considered even with a wonderful project. It's up to the economical, social and cultural environment of the US and the host countries. There are topics that are less relevant now in comparison to a few years ago. It is basically our goal as applicants to illustrate the security and integrity of our project, persuading the committee to give us a chance at strengthening our intercultural connection with the rest of the world. Only our desires and accomplishments thus far will spark the ideas of who we are and what we may achieve abroad. 

How are people disqualified for the grant if they are already chosen as a definite yes?

There are rules about leaving the country for more than 14 days and such. I think you have to notify them when you leave, etc. Things happen, I dont know of any particular cases. I dont know there are medical reasons that people have dropped out for. Some who are lucky, might have won two grants and need to decide. 

When are the full grant notifications going out? Is it the 31st of January or earlier?

They guarantee by the 31st, it could be earlier. Last year it was Thursday the 19th, so some people are hoping by the 17th this year.

I do wonder if At-Large candidates are at a disadvantage without the support from their FPA or school.  Who will vouch for their communication skills, professional appearance, etc. if no interviews are given at all to At-Large candidates?  I'm baffled.  Anyone know?  I'm new to the Fulbright.

If you are concerned about being at a disadvantage because you didn't get extra help from a knowledgeable, experienced campus adviser to look over......

I was just discussing this with my husband! Our discussion covered the following thoughts: Obviously, universities are trying to get as many of their students into the Fulbright program, so their rating couldn't automatically be taken on its own since, though honest, they are not exactly impartial.... I imagine that the universities' rating is then used as just another way to weight that universities' own applications, to help in the process.

It seems that the universities probably are grading on a curve based on their current applications and the ones that they have done previously, and maybe compared to what they have learned if they ever receive training on this sort of thing. But they couldn't possibly know the quality of their top rated application as compared with another's application, either at-large or through a university.

As I said, my only guess is that maybe the Fulbright reviewers use the university ratings to help weed out the weaker ones, but not necessarily to trump at-large applications.

However I still think that getting the highest university endorsement does bode well for Books2readme, if those FPAs are knowledgable on what Fulbright is looking for. And I think that it could be like having a very good letter of recommendation, that is supposed to be judging you fairly, and presenting your strengths and weaknesses to the board in an effort to show that you've already been tested and tried.

As far as advantages go, it is interesting to note that at-large candidates are at a statistical disadvantage when compared with those applying through a school. My guess is that, although they may not necessarily say "do this, change that," the network of people available to help tends to be wider for those with a university than those at-large. Those at-large, and I am generalizing here, have had to figure the process out on their own, may have missed a section on their application without someone else to look over it, etc.

Whatever it is, there is a difference, but I don't feel that it is unfair. I could have gone back to my university, but my impression was that they were not knowledgable at all (it was just the regular career center), the same with my husband's grad school. I'm very detail/task oriented, and so we chose to apply on our own terms. I knew going in that my chances would be statistically less (for whatever reason), but I'm okay with what we wrote, so may the chips fall where they may!

As a side note, my husband actually found out while applying that a professor of his was a Fulbright Scholar (phd), and he wrote a reference letter for him and read his statements. His personal opinion was that it all looked good, so we'll see.

Anyway, what I wrote isn't very organized. Just random thoughts. This is all interesting to discuss as we wait these (hopefully) final few days. Something for me to write and all you "lurkers" out there to read! Good luck to you all!

I was just discussing this with my husband! Our discussion covered the following thoughts: Obviously, universities are trying to get as many of their students into the Fulbright program, so their rating couldn't automatically be taken on its own since, though honest, they are not exactly impartial.... I imagine that the universities' rating is then used as just another way to weight that universities' own applications, to help in the process.

It seems that the universities probably are grading on a curve based on their current applications and the ones that they have done previously, and maybe compared to what they have learned if they ever receive training on this sort of thing. But they couldn't possibly know the quality of their top rated application as compared with another's application, either at-large or through a university.

As I said, my only guess is that maybe the Fulbright reviewers use the university ratings to help weed out the weaker ones, but not necessarily to trump at-large applications.

However I still think that getting the highest university endorsement does bode well for Books2readme, if those FPAs are knowledgable on what Fulbright is looking for. And I think that it could be like having a very good letter of recommendation, that is supposed to be judging you fairly, and presenting your strengths and weaknesses to the board in an effort to show that you've already been tested and tried.

As far as advantages go, it is interesting to note that at-large candidates are at a statistical disadvantage when compared with those applying through a school. My guess is that, although they may not necessarily say "do this, change that," the network of people available to help tends to be wider for those with a university than those at-large. Those at-large, and I am generalizing here, have had to figure the process out on their own, may have missed a section on their application without someone else to look over it, etc.

Whatever it is, there is a difference, but I don't feel that it is unfair. I could have gone back to my university, but my impression was that they were not knowledgable at all (it was just the regular career center), the same with my husband's grad school. I'm very detail/task oriented, and so we chose to apply on our own terms. I knew going in that my chances would be statistically less (for whatever reason), but I'm okay with what we wrote, so may the chips fall where they may!

As a side note, my husband actually found out while applying that a professor of his was a Fulbright Scholar (phd), and he wrote a reference letter for him and read his statements. His personal opinion was that it all looked good, so we'll see.

Anyway, what I wrote isn't very organized. Just random thoughts. This is all interesting to discuss as we wait these (hopefully) final few days. Something for me to write and all you "lurkers" out there to read! Good luck to you all!

I agree with your assessment. If there is a program/office on campus to help, they can help you. If you are organized yourself, you can do similar things. I am at university with a reviewing committee. It was easy to have more feedback, even one law professor read through all my statements twice to help me. Also, I was able to have one person at the writing center work with me over a month period during my many many many drafts. However, I did notice that eventually, I was getting too much feedback. Too many cooks in the kitchen! So, when applying to a different fellowship, I cut down to 2 people who I work the best with. 

Either way, nothing we can change now. Time to just relax and wait! Good luck everyone.

It is my understanding that universities rank and rate, to address the inherent bias. Applications are ranked against others in the pool from the university. You're only ranked against those that can be compared; PhD students are not compared to those with only a bachelors. 

I applied through my university and worked with the scholarships office. It was an intense process, they give very critical feedback directly tied to the criteria the Fulbright committee is scoring.  I think this type of support is common at large R1 universities. 

Is the January announcement the final one? Or is there another round after that? Does it depend on country/program?

The Jan. announcement is the 1st of two notifications. This announcement will notify you if you are a national candidate chosen to represent the US. Those who are announced national candidates will be informed if they are rejected, selected or alternates between April and May. 

You're only ranked against those that can be compared; PhD students are not compared to those with only a bachelors. 

Yes, I noticed on our application forms how they intended to group our applications. This is yet another interesting thing about the decision making process. Is it that, all other factors being equal, those with higher degrees would win over the lower ones..in case of a tie? It makes me curious as to how the final decisions are made. Depending on the program, I know some prefer advanced training while others feel that you'd be "overqualified"..

My feeling is that there are just so many factors in being selected, with much of it depending on your proposal and the current "economical, social and cultural environment of the US and the host countries," as Books2readme aptly put it, that one factor (the degree) would merely be a contributing factor to acceptance or rejection, but not the end all and be all...

But again, I'm no expert. These are merely musings. Still hoping for the best while trying to keep an open mind to all the other possibilities that are open to me and my husband. I feel so silly hoping for it though, like I'm trying to win the lottery!

And seriously, how many posts does it take to become "caffeinated" here? Sheesh!

Yes, I noticed on our application forms how they intended to group our applications. This is yet another interesting thing about the decision making process. Is it that, all other factors being equal, those with higher degrees would win over the lower ones..in case of a tie? It makes me curious as to how the final decisions are made. Depending on the program, I know some prefer advanced training while others feel that you'd be "overqualified"..

My feeling is that there are just so many factors in being selected, with much of it depending on your proposal and the current "economical, social and cultural environment of the US and the host countries," as Books2readme aptly put it, that one factor (the degree) would merely be a contributing factor to acceptance or rejection, but not the end all and be all...

But again, I'm no expert. These are merely musings. Still hoping for the best while trying to keep an open mind to all the other possibilities that are open to me and my husband. I feel so silly hoping for it though, like I'm trying to win the lottery!

And seriously, how many posts does it take to become "caffeinated" here? Sheesh!

I listened to a webinar; and Rachel or Cara stated that %60 grantee are graduating seniors/recent graduates, %20 grantees are At-Large and %20 are post-doctoral candidates. 

Follow the link for audio info:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources/recorded-webinars

After the US government cut, I think that the specific countries choose based on the project as well. Overall, what will this person be doing here and does it help us and them. I dont think there is any set way they choose. 

I know someone who sat in on reviewing applications for the first cut. The person said, it was three people discussing all the candidates. They pre-read and ranked all applications. Then combined, then made piles. Definitely in, definitely out and then in the middle ones. They then discussed more aspects of the middle piles and did comparisons. I guess they continue this until they have the required amount.

I know someone who sat in on reviewing applications for the first cut. The person said, it was three people discussing all the candidates. They pre-read and ranked all applications. Then combined, then made piles. Definitely in, definitely out and then in the middle ones. They then discussed more aspects of the middle piles and did comparisons. I guess they continue this until they have the required amount.

That's kind of exciting and a bit overwhelming. So, in that case, there were only 3 people deciding over a bunch of applications? Interesting. 

Edited by Books2readme

The Jan. announcement is the 1st of two notifications. This announcement will notify you if you are a national candidate chosen to represent the US. Those who are announced national candidates will be informed if they are rejected, selected or alternates between April and May. 

How are the national candidates selected then in the final step? How many get accepted in Jan. and then rejected or placed as alternates? Does it depend on size of program?

How are the national candidates selected then in the final step? How many get accepted in Jan. and then rejected or placed as alternates? Does it depend on size of program?

Usually the US chooses double the amount of national candidates as there are grants available. For instance, if there are 25 grants available roughly 50 national candidates are selected. The US gets the final say after the host country committee makes their selections. 

http://chronicle.com/article/MFA-Madness/135608/

@colgateuniv: Top Producers of U.S. Fulbright Students by Type of Institution, 2012-13 http://t.co/fqvP7VG

This was recently tweeted though its not that recent information . Thought I'd share- since i applied at large its only semi interesting to me. I'm sure if your school is listed it will be much more interesting! They really should have also listed percentages of how many applications were accepted out of the amount sent in the first place to make the data easier to interpret at first glance. Some schools are much more thorough than others. As far as you university campus committee ranking or whatever, I imagine you probably wouldn't survive if you didn't get a high enough rating to outrank fellow classmates....

Also, doesn't it seem like there's almost an average percentage of accepted ones per schools, since ones with the same amount of applications did somehow get a similar amount of acceptances...? like they reached a maximum? Thats just what it seemed like at first glance, anyways. But i didnt go through and do the math, so I could be going off a preconceived notion and jumped to this conclusion with no real data..it just reminds me of how we discussed earlier in this topic that fulbright tries to diversify its students geographically/regionally/by institution,

I listened to a webinar; and Rachel or Cara stated that %60 grantee are graduating seniors/recent graduates, %20 grantees are At-Large and %20 are post-doctoral candidates. 

Follow the link for audio info:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources/recorded-webinars

Where do you think a mid-program PhD student would fall among those categories? I'm a few years out of undergrad, but not a post-doc and am still in schooling.

I'm applying to Finland and was told I sent in a strong application, but I'm still terrified more and more as Thursday gets closer!

I looked at the list of Top Producers:

http://chronicle.com/article/Top-Producers-of-US/135454/#disqus_thread

It appears that the most schools with a lot of grantees such as Harvard University only have high numbers because their application pool is bigger (31 awards /132 applicants).

This is more comforting information to me because the data point out that Ivy League schools do, indeed, produce a high amount of award winners; but the chances are very slim of receiving awards at these schools. Since there are 50-130 people applying for grants at these schools, it only makes sense that about 10-30 grantees are selected.

At my school (a public school), only 8-10 people apply each year. Usually we receive 1 or 2 Fulbright grants/ year. I also realized that merely applying does not guarantee that you are seen as an equal compared to other applicants. Our numbers are low because our school does not really have many students that consider applying each year, and the Ivy League schools and such actually have an academic environment that encourages international programs like the Fulbright. Saying this, the academic atmosphere is created by their academic diversity and the strong involvement of the faculty.  

Where do you think a mid-program PhD student would fall among those categories? I'm a few years out of undergrad, but not a post-doc and am still in schooling.

I'm applying to Finland and was told I sent in a strong application, but I'm still terrified more and more as Thursday gets closer!

It's clear that you are in the 60%. You have not completed the program yet, so your experience level is above that of an undergraduate.