The Shame of Reapplying--How to Contact Profs

dodger

So I got shut out of my applications this year, not so much because I think I aimed too high, but because I screwed up parts of my application, which was, all in all, a good learning experience for me. Worst year to be applying ever because of the economic crisis aside, I've zeroed in on some things to improve on for the next application cycle, and I have determined that I will give it a second (and final) shot next year. I'm also pretty sure that my recommendations were very solid and likely not to blame for my shortcomings this year--which lie almost exclusively at my own doing. How and when should I contact my recommenders about my mishap, and what's a good way of asking whether they would be able to provide another recommendation in the next application cycle? Thanks for the advice, guys! Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

Also, your recommenders are going to know this has been a tough year and likely sympathize with you. Keep your chin up and contact them soon. They'll be more than willing to help you out and make sure you fix some of the mistakes you made!

Seeing as this is probably going to apply for me as well... should I wait until I get definite rejections or go ahead and contact my recommendation writers now? It's only Princeton WWS to go and tbh I'm not expecting an offer...

There is no shame in reapplying, many people do it every year, and have a massive advantage having gone through it all before. Your professors know how hard it is, especially this year.

I would wait a few days until you hear for sure, you'd regret it if you email them now, and next week you say, oops never mind. A few days won't make a difference in any case.

Just be candid, tell them you may have not written a perfect SOP but that you are committed to academia and will apply again. Also ask them for any advise they may give you on making your file stand out. Good luck:)

If you keep up that attitude, and your professor's have the same

impression that I do, then they should respond with sympathy and

encouragement as well. Keep you chin up, there is no shame in not

being accepted, just in not having done your best. I'm assuming that

you are trying one more time to not leave any doubt about the latter.

Let the professors know after everything has been finalized, and

good luck next year.

No shame in reapplying! Even if it is because of stuff you screwed up. Because screwing up is how you learn.

I think it depends a lot on the kind of relationship you have with your advisors. I have a very informal relationship where they seem to be happy to give me advice as well as recommendations (I showed them extraordinarily crappy first drafts of my statement, for example). So what I'd do would be tell them right away that I got rejected, and ask if I could drive out to their office hours and ask about reapplying and what I could do better. But if I had a more formal relationship I'd probably wait a little longer and write a more considered email in which I talked more about what I thought I had learned, and saying that I was still interested.

I also can't even tell you how useful it's been to me and other people I know to spend several weeks in the fall visiting departments, meeting with professors, and otherwise selling yourself and learning about departments.

I would contact your recommenders once you know the final results and express to them your intention to reapply. I don't think you need to walk through the mistakes you made, but let them know you are going to concentrate on making improvements for next year. For the recommenders you trust and value their opinion, ask them if they would review your application and help make improvements.

Just so you know, I am one of those people who is reapplying this year. After a rough cycle last year, I have three very good options and am still waiting to hear from a couple schools. The knowledge you gain from going through the application process is invaluable, but you should also make every effort to get GOOD input on your SOP and writing sample. I stress good, because there are allot of people who will be happy to help out, but allot fewer people who actually know what Ph.D. admissions committees are looking for.

Best of luck,

I would ask them for advice on how to improve your application for next time. Even if you think you know exactly what went wrong, I think the more open you sound to working on improving, the more willing they will be to help you out again.