What to expect?

Hi everyone,

I would be starting my phd in fall. I am a bit hesitant about transitioning from an undergrad to a phd program. However, thankfully, my department at my phd instiution has given me a structure as to what is required throughout my matriculation i.e. take introductory analysis, intro to abstract algebra and linear algebra in the fall and the continuation of those classes in spring which would prepare me for my prelims in algebra and analysis. I then would take classes which would be pertinent to my dissertation (which would most likely be stats related or biostats since those areas are of interest to me). In addition to this, I would also be a GTA.

Now I have a few questions.

1) I am really not a pure math person, more applied so I am looking forward to the post-prelim coursework so I am a bit worried for my prelims. In undergrad I really liked numerical analysis and I did my honors thesis on the subgradient method. How should I prepare for the required algebra and analysis classes which I mentioned above.

2) From the looks of it, it seems as though that there is no research lab or any research required apart from preparing for my disseration since only GTA positions are available and no RA positions. Is this normal? What can I do to get some grad research experience if this is the case?

I would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks