Taking micro- and macro-economics courses after undergrad to prepare for IR MA programs

I majored in English literature in undergrad but have subsequently decided to study IR in grad school. I need to take micro- and macro-economics for my application however this is made more difficult by the fact that I'm currently working in Somalia. I'm looking at online courses because I would like to have my grades in before I apply to grad school -- I assume this would be better than leaving my quantitative abilities as an unknown to the admissions committee. What are the best online courses (that are hopefully not too expensive)? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

It's true that a lot of schools like to see at least some quant/econ background; however it's not required AFAIK. How did you do on the quant section of your GREs? Is there any way you can parlay your work experience into highlighting quant skills (did you do any program analysis, track metrics for grants, conduct surveys, etc?).

A lot of schools also have quant/econ boot camps for the summer before the program starts for those of us lacking or rusty with quant. I'm starting the summer prep program at my school in August.

Look at state universities with purely online classes. They are more reputable then a purely online school and generally cheaper. I had to take a calculus class before applying for a Master's and I took it online at LSU (Louisiana State University) for something like $250. The school you are applying to may have partner programs for a discounted rate for taking prereq work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently finishing up macro ( all done micro, yay!) as pre-reqs for an MA (starting Fall 2012), and doing it online. I hadn't taken Econ before I applied, although I knew I would need it to register; my acceptance was conditional on my doing so. I would recommend contacting the admissions departments of schools you are interested in (or checking their websites); many of them will give you a list of acceptable online schools/courses. That way you can be sure that their course credits match up appropriately on your transcript. You're wise to start before you apply: I didn't, and am cramming a year's worth of Econ into three months. Good luck!

• 1 month later...