Where to take accredited math classes?

socioeconomist

Hi!

I just realized that for all my preferred PhD programs have some math prerequisites, which I lack. During my undergrad, I had a general two-semester math course, which included calculus and linear algebra, and two-semester course on probability and statistics. Now, in order to be competitive, I look for separate full-fledged courses on calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability, and maybe real analysis.

So, the questions are:

1) Where can I take all these courses?

2) How fast can it be?

3) How expensive will it be?

My main goal is to recognizably get fully confident in math as fast as it is possible.

Thanks!.

Edited by socioeconomist

For least expensive, you should be able to take all but probability and real analysis at a local community college. However, some grad programs may look down on courses taken at a CC, even though the quality may be excellent. More expensive, these classes can can often be taken at local universities, either during the summer, or as part of extension programs, or as part of special non-matriculated student programs. In my area, courses at the U can be 3-5 times more expensive than CC classes.

Thank you for your response! That is probably what I am looking for. The thing is that I am from Europe, so I am not really familiar with the system of non-matriculated or extension programs. Could you please give a link to an example of such kind of program? So far I am positive that CC is definitely what I don't need.

Why are you so quick to rule out CCs -- many are feeder institutions for their respective state schools and have to keep high standards. In some cases the quality of the educational experience can be better than at a 4-year school (smaller classes, personal interactions with prof rather than TA, to name a couple). However, if you are set on the 4-year school option, here are a couple of examples:

http://uc-courses.umb.edu/courses/summer/cr/ug/math/

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/courses

Thanks for the links! Do you think it is possible to take online courses somewhere recognizable by grad programs?

I've been told in no uncertain terms by several econ professors that classes taken online are about on par with no classes taken at all, when it comes to being considered for PhD work. Of course the two professors who told me that were giving their opinion, and two isn't a very big sample size, so take it for what it's worth. :)

Agree with the above. I would steer clear of online courses and I probably differ even on CC courses - but for two reasons:

1. Courses offered by a 4-year college or university are (generally) more highly regarded.

2. You want to receive the best training you can get since if you are accepted you need to do math. Online courses just don't provide that experience for most students.

The normal (minimum) math requirements for a competitive econ program are: a 3-semester sequence in calculus (differential, integral, multivariate), linear algebra and real analysis. Differential equations are a nice bonus. A semester course in statistics given by the math department (not a business stats course for example). Usually it makes sense to take them in the order of Calc I -> Calc II -> Multivariate -> (differential equations) -> Linear Algebra -> Real Analysis or you might struggle a bit.